Thread: Best free video editing software for ubuntu

Hybrid View

Beans

Best free video editing software for ubuntu

I've read several lists recommending the best free video editing software for linux. Kdenlive, Shortcut and Openshot are at the top of most of the lists. Which of these would you recommend? Or would you recommend something else?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Best free video editing software for ubuntu

I have used only Openshot and have to admit that it is very easy to use and even the defaults of, for example, fading between separate clips joined together works very well.

From what I have read about the other applications, they all appear to work similarly in practice, so try them out and see which you prefer; it may depend on exactly how complicated your requirements are.
    Don't forget you need a reasonably powerful machine to use any of these and even then an edit can take a longish time depending on the input file sizes and filetypes and the output type you wish create.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Tom_Carr View Post
    I've read several lists recommending the best free video editing software for linux. Kdenlive, Shortcut and Openshot are at the top of most of the lists. Which of these would you recommend? Or would you recommend something else?
    What do you need in a video editor? What sorts of input files do you handle? What's the output?

People making videos have different needs than someone just trying to remove specific parts. if you don't want to transcode the entire video, which always lowers quality, then you don't want any of the major editors. Do you need to batch process the videos? Different tools handle these needs differently.

Beans

What do you need in a video editor? What sorts of input files do you handle? What's the output?

People making videos have different needs than someone just trying to remove specific parts. if you don't want to transcode the entire video, which always lowers quality, then you don't want any of the major editors. Do you need to batch process the videos? Different tools handle these needs differently.
    I'm just learning about this stuff, setting up a youtube channel for fun. I installed Kdenlive yesterday and it is good enough to play with and experiment with for now. I may ask more detailed questions later.