Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Updated to 18.04 .. phpmyadmin updated, overwrote local config. help?

Beans
    Hidden!

Updated to 18.04 .. phpmyadmin updated, overwrote local config. help?

Long story short, during the update PHPmyAdmin updated and i dont know how or when, but it overwrote the local config and seems to be in a default state.

Any idea how i can retrieve or view the databases that existed? mostly wordpress sites.. etc..

Would love to know if theres a way to UnHose my situation.

nyk.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Updated to 18.04 .. phpmyadmin updated, overwrote local config. help?

Easy to unhose if you made backups. Do you have "any" backups?

LHammonds

Beans
    Hidden!

if there are backups. i dont know where they were stored.

Beans
    Hidden!

SO basically aside from restoring from a backup.. when the update went thru and confirmed whether to use the maintainer version of the file or keep the local copy: that wiped out all the databases ?

Beans
    Distro

I do not use phpmyadmin but I assume if you told it to overwrite a config file, it is just the config file. MySQL/MariaDB databases will not get purged / deleted because of an upgrade. They are still there and probably still running just fine.

You just need to re-configure phpmyadmin exactly how you did it the 1st time when you set it up.

If you can access your server via SSH, you can use the command-line "mysql" and type "show databases;" to see all your databases.

If re-configuring phpmyadmin is too problematic, you might want to look at an alternative such as adminer which is a single php script and can connect to a wide variety of database backends. (FYI - I am not affiliated with adminer, I just like its simlicity....but I prefer the mysql console)

Quote Originally Posted by nyktovus View Post
    if there are backups. i dont know where they were stored.
    If I were you, I would setup a new/blank server and then install the software needed to make it like the other, then figure out what configuration / data needs to be migrated to the other server to make it work the same way. The "configuration / data" you migrate is what you need to backup to another location on a regular basis in case you lose that machine. I would also include the documentation on what/how to install a new server as part of that data that gets backed up. Just imagine losing the server and only having the backup. You will need to setup a new server, install software and restore the configuration / data. Never assume a backup is magically made for you.

This is why I document how to install my servers from scratch on my forum. If I only have the data in a backup location, I will know how to install a server from scratch and restore the data.

LHammonds
    Last edited by LHammonds; May 19th, 2020 at 03:12 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

OMG. thank you!! Show databases shows all my things.. now i guess the bigger question is how can i fix the phpmyadmin interface and access these?
    Should i and HOW do i back them up from here?
    Would love the help. total mysql tard.
    I'm learning.

I'm stoked to have found them. but I dont know how to rescue. and building another server isnt really an option.

Beans
    Hidden!

when i hit MySite/phpmyadmin atm it shows..
    <?php
    /* vim: set expandtab sw=4 ts=4 sts=4: */
    /**
    * Main loader script
    * @package PhpMyAdmin
    */
    use PMA\libraries\RecentFavoriteTable;

/**

Beans
    Hidden!

The wordpress sites only render :
    <?php
    /**
    * Front to the WordPress application. This file doesn't do anything, but loads
    * wp-blog-header.php which does and tells WordPress to load the theme.
    * @package WordPress
    */

/**
    * Tells WordPress to load the WordPress theme and output it.
    * @var bool
    */
    define( 'WP_USE_THEMES', true );

/** Loads the WordPress Environment and Template */
    require( dirname( __FILE__ ) . '/wp-blog-header.php' );
    I'm assuming it wouldnt take much to repoint the database to the right.. thing?

Beans
    Distro

Editing gone horribly wrong...see next post.
    Last edited by LHammonds; May 20th, 2020 at 05:36 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Let's step back for a second. You never mentioned what you were running before the upgrade or what you are running now...other than 18.04

Were you on Ubuntu Server 16.04 and then 18.04 or did you go from some other version? Please list what you are running currently.

Looking back at my tutorials, I initially installed the following versions for each OS:

Ubuntu 16.04 - Apache 2.4.18, PHP 7.0.2, MariaDB 10.1.28 and WordPress 4.4.2.
    Ubuntu 18.04 - Apache 2.4.29, PHP 7.2.7, MariaDB 10.1.29 and WordPress 4.9.8.
    Ubuntu 20.04 - Apache 2.4.41, PHP 7.4.3, MariaDB 10.4.13 and WordPress 5.4.1

Looking at a current, fully patched install of 18.04, I have: Apache 2.4.29, PHP 7.2.24, MariaDB 10.3.23 and WordPress 5.4.1.

Quote Originally Posted by nyktovus View Post
    I dont know how to rescue. and building another server isnt really an option.
    If it were me and I only had a single server on a bare-metal install, I would use VirtualBox on my PC to build up the server how it is running now but using the newer OS. I would then copy over the configuration files (or make changes to the new versions by incorporating what is different in the old one) and copy the data over. Once I got everything working in the virtual machine on my PC, I would not only have a better knowledge of how to upgrade the one-and-only server but also have a live-running copy on my PC should anything terrible happen to the one-and-only physical server. Also, once you upgrade your physical server (such as format and re-install) with the new OS, you can directly migrate the configuration files and data you already have running on the new version in your virtual machine on your PC.

LHammonds
    Last edited by LHammonds; May 20th, 2020 at 06:17 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast