Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: too much freezing/slow websites : what is the next web browser I should try?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: too much freezing/slow websites : what is the next web browser I should try?

Quote Originally Posted by anotherChris View Post
    I don't know if this "fixed" my problem, but I did get through work today using the Microsoft O365 Teams website without any slowing or freezing. I am going to keep using FF set up this way for a while to see if reducing the content processes seems to have definitely changed something.
    Well, today is froze again, and when it did, nothing was working. Not Ctrl+Alt+T and not Ctrl+Fn+Alt+F2 or any other hotkey combos. I had to hard-restart with the power button again. Very disappointing.

Beans

Re: too much freezing/slow websites : what is the next web browser I should try?

Off topic, but you can try REISUB (BUSIER backwards) next time.
    http://blog.kember.net/articles/reis...linux-restart/

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfer View Post
    Off topic, but you can try REISUB (BUSIER backwards) next time.
    http://blog.kember.net/articles/reis...linux-restart/
    Yeah, thanks. Somebody recommended that, too, but I've got to write it down for my dumb brain sometime before the freeze.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have a similar laptop as your spec with slightly better Intel core 2 duo T8100.

I would say, normally I will open at most 3 tabs like Team, YouTube, Hotmail, and Google Maps. 2 tabs are better.
    The spec does not allow to run these application smoothly. Team, Youtube will use up ~1GB of RAM

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by JakcV View Post
    I have a similar laptop as your spec with slightly better Intel core 2 duo T8100.

I would say, normally I will open at most 3 tabs like Team, YouTube, Hotmail, and Google Maps. 2 tabs are better.
    The spec does not allow to run these application smoothly. Team, Youtube will use up ~1GB of RAM
    It's frustrating because for a long time I was using Chromium on Lubuntu 17.10 on the same laptop, and it worked great for a long time, maybe years. I could have like 15 tabs open in Chromium, no problem... [sigh...]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have had a few freezes recently when parsing large files and I looked into the subject and came across this.

https://github.com/rfjakob/earlyoom

I think my issue is I need to buy more RAM.

Incidentally I often have many tabs open in Chromium but some (YouTube etc.) are resource hungry.
    I would install Stacer dashboard to monitor your resources.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by anotherChris View Post
    It's frustrating because for a long time I was using Chromium on Lubuntu 17.10 on the same laptop, and it worked great for a long time, maybe years. I could have like 15 tabs open in Chromium, no problem... [sigh...]
    Ya. I used this laptop since 8.04LTS. On old days, I can open quite a number of tabs. I use it as my development machine. The changing in IT cause all these website use more and more processing power, long time ago, JavaScript is only used for simple logic.

My smartphone is more powerful than my laptop now.

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

I gave up on FireFox quite some time ago. It used to be a nice browser, but has expanded into extreme bloatware. Also it has had a memory garbage collection problem from it's birth, which has not been solved yet. This leads to it locking up after some time (days to weeks) because it has filled up the allocated memory. This is both on Win and Ubuntu systems, BTW.

For the last two years, I've used Opera on both Win and Ubuntu. Lightweight, fast and stable. I can let it run for months without issues.

Just my $0.02

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Google maps used to work fantastically in Firefox, street view was so smooth, like a video game. The conspiracy theorist in me says they changed it on purpose to make their own browser look better.

I'd consider using another browser (not chrome) but there are certain add-ons on Firefox that don't have equivalents in Opera that I really can't live without

Anyway re. OP's stuff, a workaround is I am using the teams app for Linux, it works fine. I look fervently forward to being able to install it when a vaccine is found.
    Last edited by RabbitWho; May 27th, 2020 at 10:18 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RabbitWho View Post
    Google maps used to work fantastically in Firefox, street view was so smooth, like a video game. The conspiracy theorist in me says they changed it on purpose to make their own browser look better.

I'd consider using another browser (not chrome) but there are certain add-ons on Firefox that don't have equivalents in Opera that I really can't live without

Anyway re. OP's stuff, a workaround is I am using the teams app for Linux, it works fine. I look fervently forward to being able to install it when a vaccine is found.

I didn't know, didn't even imagine, there was a Teams app for Linux. Will check it out, thanks! The only browser add-on I really, really want is a website translator.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12