Thread: Samba - required `net ads join` on ubuntu-20

Beans

Question Samba - required `net ads join` on ubuntu-20

Hi.

I have posted this question also on stack-exchange but wasn't able to completely solve it there- so I am trying my luck here.

I have been using ubuntu 18.04 with sssd to join my servers to my active directory domain for a while now.
    This worked quite nicely, enabling me to ssh to the servers with AD users and create samba shares with AD authentication as well.
    What I usually do is set all the configuration files (krb5, sssd, smb.conf) and use realm join to join the server to the domain.

with Ubuntu 20 I followed my same procedure to join the server to the domain. However I encountered an error with my smb.conf file- the smbd service wouldn't start as long as I had the setting security = ads enabled.
    In order to make it work I had to run net ads join command (this is after I already ran realm join)- only then did the smbd service agree to start with security = ads setting enabled.

What has changed between Ubuntu-18 and Ubuntu-20?
    Is there a problem using net ads and sssd at the same time?
    Can I make samba work again with only sssd?

Beans

Re: Samba - required `net ads join` on ubuntu-20

Hey did you ever solve this? I am needing to setup and as authenticated file share and would love to know if you did. Or how you did in earlier releases.