Thread: Compiling on HWE system, running on non-HWE system

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Compiling on HWE system, running on non-HWE system

Suppose I were to compile some software on a Xubuntu 18.04 machine running the HWE kernel and the stock/non-HWE X server. Will the resulting binaries have issues running on a totally non-HWE Xubuntu 18.04?

Said machine had HWE kernel installed "after the fact" - i.e., it had the stock 4.15 kernel when the system was first installed, and the HWE kernel was manually added following this method. And the stock 4.15 kernel was not uninstalled after upgrading to the HWE kernel.
    Xubuntu 22.04, ArchLinux ♦ System76 hardware, virt-manager/KVM, VirtualBox
    When your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Compiling on HWE system, running on non-HWE system

Maybe I could have asked the question slightly differently: Is it safe to assume that if I just try this and don't see any immediate problems, that it's fine?

Searching further turned up this, which links this, but I don't understand this stuff well enough to know what to make of that or how that info might relate to my question?
    Last edited by halogen2; May 19th, 2020 at 07:15 PM.
    When your questions are resolved to your satisfaction, please use Thread Tools > "Mark this thread as solved..."

Beans

It depends on what you're building. If it's a kernel module or something else that builds against the kernel headers, then you will probably have issues. If not, it shouldn't make a difference.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thanks Yellow Pasque! The software I would do this with doesn't contain kernel modules as far as I know, so it sounds like this should be fine.

And for other cases: if it's the version of the kernel headers that matters, not the running kernel version, surely it would be possible to specifically specify to compile against the installed 4.15 kernel headers and thus should still be fine, just might take an extra step.