Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a new Laptop which can run new games

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Suggestions for a new Laptop which can run new games

Hi everybody, my 9 years old laptop reached the end of its life and i have to buy a new laptop.
    The idea is to use Ubuntu Mate alongside Windows 10 (i need windows for a couple of work-related programs). I hope it can last 4-5 years without being too much outdated in 4-5 years.

I need some suggestion because i am very ignorant about laptops, the idea is the laptop should be able to run new games smoothly enough, without reaching inner-core sun temperatures and should work well enough in Ubuntu.

I don't need to play games in super high resolutions, i just want to be able to play new games without setting everything to minimum.

Examples of games i play Paradox Games (eu4, ck2), FPS (new and old) and i really want my laptop be able to run the new Baldur's gate 3.

The price limit should be around 1400€ (1500$).

If anyone is using a laptop which works well enough when playing games and want to share the model, it will be very much appreciated.

ps: i have checked the Laptop compatibility list in the hardware section, but it's a bit overwhelming, so i have preferred to post here, because i think it's more related, if i was wrong please forgive me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Suggestions for a new Laptop which can run new games

Get a desktop.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Get a desktop.
    +1
    | AMD Ryzen 1700x 3.4 GHz | ASUS PRIME X370-A | 32 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 |
    | ASUS Nvidia 1070 8 GB | SSD 250 GB | HDD 1 TB |

My favourite place of all, is the closet in the hall

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I need a laptop for when i travel between Spain, Austria and Italy.
    Last edited by QIII; May 16th, 2020 at 07:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Beans

You didn't mention that.

Have you checked some of System 76 laptops? https://system76.com/laptops
    | AMD Ryzen 1700x 3.4 GHz | ASUS PRIME X370-A | 32 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 |
    | ASUS Nvidia 1070 8 GB | SSD 250 GB | HDD 1 TB |

My favourite place of all, is the closet in the hall

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Some tips I can offer, since I've done the same before (for the games I purchased it for, Dota 2 and League of Legends, the laptop still runs well after 6 years, though it's very much EOL). Now, as a disclaimer, these tips are not guaranteed to get you a laptop than can run Linux, or even run the games you specifically want to play. They are just good generic advice when searching for a laptop that you can game on.

1. Avoid integrated graphics cards

Any graphics card which itself is part of the processor. This includes all but a handful of Intel graphics cards on laptops. You'll want a graphics card that is a separate entity from the processor itself. Unfortunately there's no neat way to categorize laptops this way, so you'll have to search the graphics card reported on the laptop's specs. If it says 'integrated' for the card, then don't bother. AMD does offer integrated cards, too, so just avoiding Intel altogether isn't the surefire way to make sure you don't accidentally purchase one. You'll have to do your research.

2. Cooling

Unfortunately, there's no real way to mitigate this. Most laptops are designed with some form of passive cooling in mind, for which they absolutely cannot radiate heat out fast enough to keep up with the demand of a game.

Laptops made specifically for gaming might be able to mitigate this with extra fan or a better designed case for cooling, but the general laptops you find will expect to be able to radiate heat outside the case and keyboard. This can mean that your keyboard turns into a bed of hot lava. The aforementioned laptop I've had went through a thermal shut down several times. But there are ways you can avoid this via cooling pads, and - even though this one is a little MacGyver -pointing a medium desk fan against the keyboard of the laptop while playing, and positioning the laptop underneath a ceiling fan just 6 feet away. Just make sure that none of these methods are blowing hot air back into the laptop.

Oh, and don't ever lay your laptop directly on a bed or linens while charging or playing a game. It will hurt efforts to cool the device and it will catch on fire, as the bed is the most flammable thing in your house. Your laptop should always be on a desk.

3. Memory

Ideally you're going to want a laptop with at least 16 GB of RAM. Many games use an Electron wrapper around a website to give you a launcher (League of Legends and Steam serve content via an embedded browser). These will leak memory as they stay open, so 16 GB of RAM is a good minimum that shouldn't be difficult to find.

4. Avoid USB-C

I would also avoid laptops using USB-C rather than just the standard USB-A. You can game on them fine, it's just that most game accessories expect USB-A, and you don't want to lug around a converter.

5. Linux

You'll need to research the hardware on the laptop to ensure that it is compatible with Linux. Wireless drivers are going to be by far your largest issue, and it's completely possible that you will purchase a laptop that cannot support wireless in Linux. Do be aware that battery life and memory management are current issues looming over Linux laptops. If you are gaming on Linux specifically, you may find yourself having to keep the computer plugged in more than you'd like.

BUT, do not leave the computer plugged in all the time, as your battery WILL experience drastically reduced life.

It's also a good rule of thumb to make sure that your graphics card is well supported by Linux, and that reviews on it are good. You don't want to either boot into Linux and find that you're using VESA (and thus can't do anything), or boot into Linux and find that the graphics performance is just significantly worse than Windows.

6. Gaming Laptops

Your best options are likely laptops that are designed for gaming in mind, as they likely have better designs to mitigate overheating. Alienware is one brand that I've seen some impressive cooling on, but I would be aware that you don't accidentally by a lemon, by trying to adhere to the warnings above.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    You didn't mention that.

Have you checked some of System 76 laptops? https://system76.com/laptops

WOW very nice

thanks for sharing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

amd Ryzen chips offer descent gaming perfomance and work well without the need to mess arround with Optimus (nvidia& intel) combo.

laptop should be thicker with more space for ventilation. also keyboard has to be able to withstand the bashing.

usually 16Gb is max ram on laptops (get the max), but there are more expencive models that can fit in more.

i saw intel NUC with Radeon GPU that can handle all sort of games. there are Asus, Acer and Lenovo models designed for gaming that come preloaded with linux in some areas (or no OS). Europe is one of such areas. not sure what kind of windows 10 stuff you plan to run, but if it is not graphically intense i would look into virtualbox or i would run windows only on it. there is no point in having two OS if both run at approximately the same speed and provide access to same applications.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

The new AMD APUs are very good indeed. I have an Acer Nitro 5, with a Ryzen 5 2500U which is a 4-core, 8-thread CPU, with Vega 8 graphics. According to benchmarks in action games, it's about as powerful as my old desktop, with an AMD 3200 and GeForce 960, which means that a few action games may chug a bit. I AM able to play Witcher 3, which I never could have done on any other laptop I have had.

It's far cheaper to order extra RAM than to pay $200 more for preinstalled RAM. I paid ~$120 for 32GB RAM for this laptop, and installed a 1TB SSD I already had, so it's kind of a beast.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast