Thread: Local connection is slow

Beans

Local connection is slow

I have a Ubuntu server 18.04. It also serves as a router and access point for my home network. The internet speed is just fine - upload/download speed is 93 Mb/s. But when I try to copy a file from the server to my local machine using scp command in terminal, the speed is just around 2.2 Mb/s. I also installed Samba server and have same problem - download speed is just a few megabytes. Even though WiFi reports 1.3 Gb/s connection. Hard Drive is Samsung SSD M.2. Read/Write speed is lightning fast:
    Code:
    amalyshev@al-serve:~$ sync; dd if=/dev/zero of=tempfile bs=1M count=1024; sync1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 0.330722 s, 3.2 GB/s
    amalyshev@al-serve:~$ dd if=tempfile of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 0.0894196 s, 12.0 GB/s
    amalyshev@al-serve:~$ sudo /sbin/sysctl -w vm.drop_caches=3
    vm.drop_caches = 3
    amalyshev@al-serve:~$ dd if=tempfile of=/dev/null bs=1M count=1024
    1024+0 records in
    1024+0 records out
    1073741824 bytes (1.1 GB, 1.0 GiB) copied, 0.417582 s, 2.6 GB/s

~: $> scp -P 2448 -i keys/amalyshev.key amalyshev@${AL_IP}:tempfile .
    tempfile                                        2%   29MB   2.2MB/s   07:24 ETA
    Where to look for the problem? I've been trying to fix for more than a year, spent countless number of nights, but with no result. I am lost.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Local connection is slow

Hardware? Please show
    Code:
    lspci -nnk | grep -iA2 net
    lsusb
    ifconfig -a
    iwconfig
    lsmod
    Internal speed is slow on both LAN and WLAN?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by praseodym View Post
    Internal speed is slow on both LAN and WLAN?
    If I understood you correctly, it is slow only on LAN. I use this Ubuntu server as an Access Point and when I connect to it from my MacBook internet (WAN?) up/down speed is 93 Mb/s, which is much faster compared to that when I try to download something from the server itself, which is weird.

Commands result is attached. I removed actual IP and MAC addresses for security.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

I check with a PC that has a Ethernet adapter. With WiFi the speed is the same ~4-5 Mb/s down and 60 Mb/s up, but with a Ethernet cable it is as expected - ~100Mb/s. Looks like I am having an issue with WiFi setup.

I was trying to make WiFi work for a couple of years. I replaced two Wi-Fi cards because they did not have a Linux driver. I specifically bought a very expensive QNAP Dual-Band Wireless PCIe Expansion Card. I am connecting to it in 5GHz band and my Mac reports 1300 Mbps. Still having speed issues. Whoever is saying Linux is easy to use is not telling the truth.

Beans

No one can help? I noticed that sometimes network read speed goes up to a reasonable numbers, close to 30 Mb/s. But once I reconnect to the network drive, the speed goes back to 2-3 Mb/s. I was not able to figure out what triggers this. Any idea where to look?