Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wubi Wubi Wubi...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Wubi Wubi Wubi...

The last time I used Wubi was during an installation of 10.04... and I just wanted to see how it worked on a Windows machine.

Canonical has since dropped Wubi support, because they don't feel it is a good way to try out Ubuntu. Personally, I think it's a lot harder to clear a dual-boot installation of Ubuntu if you don't like it... and Wubi makes it pretty easy to uninstall.

Regardless...

Looks like Wubi is still being maintained, and upgraded per each new version of Ubuntu.

What would be the downside to installing Ubuntu under Wubi for someone who still prefers to dual boot?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Wubi Wubi Wubi...

Wubi would make your installation a bit unstable due to depending upon Windows to handle its partitions. This also means you cannot handle partitioning inside of Ubuntu but from Windows, which Wubi users claim they cannot expand or shrink their partition.

I too used Wubi, but after an update, I lost Ubuntu.

It was an easy way to get Ubuntu onto my computer when I wasn't the admin, but I wouldn't recommend it over using guided installation with multiboot. Full boot is preferable however.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Wubi is being maintained in a UEFI capable version, but it is NOT by the original developers. They dropped it and stopped recommending its use. Windows 8 and 10 introduced so many changes to the boot process that Wubi became unusable.

Wubi was never intended to be a permanent solution in any case. It was for kicking the tires.

With the ease of virtual machines these days, a VM is just a much more robust option.
    Last edited by QIII; May 15th, 2020 at 08:02 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Yes, a VM makes more sense. If you don't like it, very easy to remove the VM file. I used WUBI years ago. didn't like it then, like it less today. I don't even use VM, since I have multiple partitions, I use one of them. I always found a lot of difference between VM and my hardware.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Looks like Wubi is still being maintained, and upgraded per each new version of Ubuntu.
    I don't think Wubi has been included with the Ubuntu ISO for some time , but I could be wrong. There is a 3rd party still working with it , but it's not known to me if it is Win 10 compatible and it would be a use at your own risk experiment. https://github.com/hakuna-m/wubiuefi/wiki
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

WUBI caused no end of grief while we were dealing with it in its heyday. It was both brittle and wonky—giving rise to obscure problems that were almost impossible to track down—which was disastrous if the purpose was to make a good initial impression. I suspect this is why Canonical would prefer that it quietly breathe its last. I for one can only say: good riddance.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

i moved to VMs for almost all deployments back in 2008, that includes my primary desktop. There are many reasons, but mainly to abstract away hardware, have easy, perfect backups, and secured, remote access from anywhere in the world.

Any system w/ a Core2 Duo and 4G of RAM can easily handle running a VM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    With the ease of virtual machines these days, a VM is just a much more robust option.
    Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    Yes, a VM makes more sense. If you don't like it, very easy to remove the VM file. I used WUBI years ago. didn't like it then, like it less today. I don't even use VM, since I have multiple partitions, I use one of them. I always found a lot of difference between VM and my hardware.
    Except that VM performance is kinda lame. Currently I run Windows 7 in a VM on Kubuntu in order to utilize Adobe CS6. I can tell it would run faster if it were not in a VM.

And I have tried to run Ubuntu in a VM on Windows 10... the performance is atrocious.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

if you don't tune the VM, you get what you get. The defaults are about compatibility, not performance. That's common with most computing defaults.
    if the VM settings are tuned, then 95% performance of physical systems are common. For non-GUi workloads, it is pretty easy to achieve.

Expecting a GUi-centric program to perform the same when using virtual GPUs doesn't work. Use either intel's vGT solution or passthru a physical GPU to the VM. Those are harder. GPU passthru requires 2 GPUs. intel's vGT solution has specific CPU/iGPU requirements and seems to be on 18.04 still.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    if you don't tune the VM, you get what you get. The defaults are about compatibility, not performance. That's common with most computing defaults.
    if the VM settings are tuned, then 95% performance of physical systems are common. For non-GUi workloads, it is pretty easy to achieve.

Expecting a GUi-centric program to perform the same when using virtual GPUs doesn't work. Use either intel's vGT solution or passthru a physical GPU to the VM. Those are harder. GPU passthru requires 2 GPUs. intel's vGT solution has specific CPU/iGPU requirements and seems to be on 18.04 still.
    That's why I am running Windows 7 in a VM under Kubuntu. I want native performance from Kubuntu, and I only have a couple of programs to use with Windows 7. If they ran under Wine, it'd be a whole different ball game.

Do you know of anywhere I can get infromation to learn how to get the VM settings tuned correctly?
    Holy Cripes on Toast!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast