Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wubi Wubi Wubi...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Wubi Wubi Wubi...

Quote Originally Posted by Shibblet View Post
    Do you know of anywhere I can get infromation to learn how to get the VM settings tuned correctly?
    There are general ideas common to all VMs.
    The last two are mine.

There isn't a "correct", just better for the specific workload. it is mostly about sharing the system with all the running programs regardless of VM or not. Spreading i/o over multiple devices and using fast storage, fast networking, fast drivers with low overhead. Do not over allocate RAM or CPUs to any single part of the total system. Leave some CPU and RAM for the host too. More CPUs for a guest are seldom the right answer.
    Last edited by TheFu; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:54 AM. Reason: s/to/two/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

↑ Thanks for this contribution. I'm going to review my VM settings to see if they can be tweaked to a higher performance level.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

VM - also there are VM images (e.g. Bitnami stack, turnkey linux...), so no install is actually needed to try out the OS or applications.

experience in wm is limited but so was in wubi. it would be interesting to see something utilizing the linux subsystem. i am not actually sure how that thing works, but it would be interesting if you could load without much penalty the desktop OS inside windows10.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The normal warnings need to apply about using any pre-built setup.

Most will have come from reputable people trying to do well, but everyone makes mistakes and there are a few bad people out there. Look at the acceptance criteria to get into Bitnami and Turnkey and any other variant of these pre-configed setups. That includes Docker prebuilt stuff, especially. Also, flatpaks, AppImages, snaps, and PPAs that many here use to get newer versions of software. Reputation matters.

If we've learned anything the last few years, it is that being popular is not any guarantee of being free from spying, free from maliscious setups, and without trivial security mistakes.

Please be careful out there.

Go for not just popular, but reputable and cryptographicly signed packages. There's a reason getting a package into the Debian and Canonical release is hard. It is part of the vetting process. Honest teams don't want to ruin their years of hard work and reputations over introducing spyware, malware, or even foolish bugs if they can help it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12