Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which of these eSport games works on Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Which of these eSport games works on Ubuntu?

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    i mean they should make a linux port /installer in the first place. doom3 &quake 4 installer still work with minor annoyance of DVD number check.
    The way id did it was (because they had Linux guys as part of the company) to make a Linux version, and make it work, but not officially support it if something went wrong. When Bethesda bought them they weren't interested in unofficial releases and they weren't interested in providing official support.

The other part is the source releases: after a game engine had been out for a while id would release the source code for the engine so that people could play around with it and port it to other platforms. That's why Quake 2 RTX can exist now. Carmack had it as part of his contract when Bethesda bought id that they'd release the source to the game they were working on at the time, but they weren't interested in doing the same for future releases.

Bethesda just have no interest in releasing games for Linux, even if they already exist internally, and even if they've been released on Stadia (which is Linux). More market share or a change in management might change their attitude, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mortalkorona View Post
    So I guess if the Ubuntu community helps more people start using Ubuntu. Then perhaps the rest of the eSport games will follow suite and create native clients like Dota2 and CS:GO companies have done.
    Gaming on Linux is a big part of Valve's strategic goals. Steam being released for Linux, making Vulkan a good choice for games, improvements to Wine, integrating Wine into Steam, releasing games for Linux, improving the graphics stack: all Valve.

Quote Originally Posted by mortalkorona View Post
    That sounds bad. Do you think if Ubuntu community did some sort of Patreon/Kickstarter campaign, would those anticheat systems companies be willing or have the skills to create equal systems for Linux?
    Native anti-cheat already exists; that's not the problem. The issue is that something that behaves not-quite-exactly like Windows (like Wine) for a Windows game with Windows anti-cheat is exactly the kind of thing that Windows anti-cheat is looking for. If the games companies released Linux games with optional Linux anti-cheat they wouldn't have a problem, but they aren't interested in doing that. We don't have the market share and they don't have the skills.
    Last edited by CatKiller; May 23rd, 2020 at 12:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    Gaming on Linux is a big part of Valve's strategic goals
    A bit of interesting backstory here for anyone who hasn't delved into this part of happenings:

Microsoft scared Valve to death by releasing the Microsoft Store, with its UWP API claiming to be the successor to win32. Then Microsoft releases an S edition of Windows that only allows one to download software (at the time) from the Microsoft Store. In retaliation, Valve pumped up Linux with the intent of creating a like competitor to Windows* in the gaming market to edge Microsoft away from a Windows store-only edition of Windows.

*Apple claimed for a long time that MacOS was not in fact a Windows competitor. I do not know if they still make this claim.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

MS still plans and works towards package distribution (store, packages...) and they could still limit users.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by mastablasta View Post
    MS still plans and works towards package distribution (store, packages...) and they could still limit users.
    I didn't think of that. Kind of eerie if you think about it. I'm ultimately hoping for as much of the OS to go open source as they can.

Beans

Dota 2 definitely works on ubuntu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12