Thread: 20.04 upgrade killed my wifi

Beans

20.04 upgrade killed my wifi

Just before I downloaded an ISO of 20.04 I spotted a message telling me there was some upgrades for my laptops 20.04. I installed them and it then said I had to reboot to enjoy the upgrades. I did so but my wifi ceased working completely and it tells me there is no wifi adaptor. As my laptop is a dual boot system 20.04 and windows 10 I closed down the laptop and booted up windows 10 partition. Wifi works fine with the windows 10 partition so I know now this is a ubuntu software upgrade issue, How do I fix it?
    Last edited by aughey; May 14th, 2020 at 11:40 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: 20.04 upgrade killed my wifi

As I told you already, please read https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=370108 and do what it says.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

In your previous thread, you were asked to post a new thread for this problem in the Networking & Wireless section, yet you posted to Installation and Upgrades. You have a wireless issue. Thread moved to Networking & Wireless.

You were also asked to read this sticky. That you haven't posted your wireless script output suggests you haven't read the sticky. Please do so now and provide the information without which forum members cannot help you.

Although your wirless issue is coincident with an upgrade, from your description it is most probably a problem with the kernel driver for your particular wireless chipset. If you boot into the older kernel you may find that your wireless is working again. Nevertheless, that is not a fix, and not ideal, so if you provide the information needed, I am sure that members interested in wireless issues will be able to help.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

As I was hoping someone could tell me how to reverse the dodgy upgrade 20.04 I posted it on there. I am now stuck as I cannot use the ******* 10 portion of my dual booting laptop as ******* is now updating itself as I had not used that partition in months. Hopefully if it ever finishes I will; be able to sort thios out using someting of the above advice. Thanks guys

Beans

******* 10 just finished updating itself so I rebooted into Ubuntu 20.04 and lo and behold my wifi is now up and working again without any more intervention by me. I hope it continues like this