Thread: OpenOffice Writer issue - Read-Error - Format error discovered

Beans

Question OpenOffice Writer issue - Read-Error - Format error discovered

Hello!

I'm having some serious trouble with OpenOffice and I'm hoping someone can help.

I've been working on a beta read for a novel and I need to hand this back tomorrow - I was using OpenOffice Writer and tracking changes. I saved the document after completing it and closed it. I can no longer open the document.

I get the error: Read-Error. Format error discovered in the file in sub-document styles.xml at 2, 15053(row, col).

I have tried googling this error and got as far as extracting the .odt file and trying to amend the styles.xml file, I did this and then re-zipped the folder, then renamed the file type to .odt, but upon opening I just get a single page with a line of gibberish.

Can someone please help me? You would have my undying gratitude!

Thank you so much in advance.
    Last edited by howefield; May 13th, 2020 at 11:52 PM.

Beans

Re: OpenOffice Writer issue - Read-Error - Format error discovered

Try deleting styles.xml and rezip the directory. Opening the .odt file, I get a dialog asking if LibreOffice should repair it. After answering 'yes', the file opens. and has the edit comments in the margin.

Hopefully you can re-style the doc.

Beans

Thanks for this - I deleted styles.xml and rezipped the directory but I'm still getting pages full of gibberish for some reason!

Thanks for your help anyway

Beans

I'm using LO Version: 6.4.2.2 and the attached file opens on my machine. Of course there is no style but the notes are visible in the margins.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; May 14th, 2020 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Removed file at OP's request.