Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [KUBUNTU 20.04 LTS] Stuck in dual-boot installation hell on my Dell Vostro 14 3468.

Beans

Unhappy [KUBUNTU 20.04 LTS] Stuck in dual-boot installation hell on my Dell Vostro 14 3468.

Hi,
    A bit of context: I'm fairly new to Ubuntu. I've been running KUBUNTU on a secondary laptop for ~6 months after my Software Engineering Professor instructed us to try to switch over to Linux. I took to KUBUNTU because of UBUNTU and the KDE personalization options (sucker for MacOS theme ). Anyways, a week ago, that laptop broke (basically irreparable).

I decided to dual boot it on my primary laptop, Dell Vostro 14 3468 (Intel i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz; UEFI; 8GB RAM; GPT Partition Table). I tried to install KUBUNTU, it failed (unable to install grub). Over the course of last week, I've tried to install Manjaro KDE, KDE Neon, Vanilla Ubuntu and Kubuntu. ALL FAIL AT THE SAME STEP. Installer fails to install GRUB. All Data is copied successfully, as I can see it there when I boot live. have tried to manually install Grub
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    , it slaps me with a 'read/write /dev/sda error'. At this stage, I'm just totally burnt out. I've tried all installation guides out there, to no avail. Manually setting EFI partition; Guided Install alongside (resize partition) all fail.

I'm able to run it Live from my USB. I know the iso files are A-Ok as I've checked MD5 sum, and it is currently running in VBox. With my finals approaching, I'm just stressed to the maximum.

Right now, I'm just so overrun with information that it feels impossible to sum it all down here. I'll edit and add any thing I remember frequently here. Ask me anything you guys need to know and I'll reply ASAP. Please do keep in mind that I'm in GMT +5, so sometimes it might take upto 8-10 hrs for me to reply.

Hoping to get this sorted out.

Edit1: FastBoot and SecureBoot are Off. Have tried to both make /boot/efi part manually and let the installer make it manually. All Fails.

Okay, so update 2:
    Again, the installation failed.
    Attachment 285856

I deleted the previous partitions (swap and /) and had 30 GB of unallocated space on my disk. I created a bootable USB using Rufus (in ISO mode) and booted into it. On the Kubuntu splash screen, the integrity check (?) completed without any errors. I know I booted into UEFI mode as it showed the black screen, grub menu and not the purple-ish screen. The installer had copied over all the files, downloaded all additional software and language packs. I had even set my account name and password. It was stuck on "Detecting Hardware, 66%", when it showed the error.
    Attachment 285855

Right now, I'm booted into the live USB. running ubuntu-bug ubiquity shows this.
    Attachment 285854

All my partitions show up. even the Linux one. Boot folder does have a efi folder.
    Attachment 285853

Right now, I'll keep the laptop booted into Live mode overnight. Any tests you want me to run, do let me know,

If this helps: BootRepairSysLog
    Last edited by atta-asmi-01; May 14th, 2020 at 10:31 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: [KUBUNTU 20.04 LTS] Stuck in dual-boot installation hell on my Dell Vostro 14 346

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

This should be your starting point to understand UEFI and how to install Ubuntu in UEFI mode, standalone or dual/multi-boot.
    Also, if dual-booting with any Windows 8 or newer you must disable its Fast Startup feature. Honestly, that should be all.

Beans

Re: [KUBUNTU 20.04 LTS] Stuck in dual-boot installation hell on my Dell Vostro 14 346

FastBoot and SecureBoot are Off. Have tried to both make /boot/efi part manually and let the installer make it manually. All Fails.

Note that in a UEFI-mode installation, Ubuntu will not ask you where to install the boot loader.
    This seems interesting. I boot into UEFI mode, and when on the partition section, there is a little dialog box in the lower-left side of installer, asking me to do so.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So, you said you want to dual-boot... That means you already have another OS installed and running, right?
    If that other OS is Windows and because you mentioned GPT it must have been installed in UEFI mode (all preinstalled Windows since 2012 certainly are), right? So there's an EFI partition there already. The only possible reasons for a Ubuntu UEFI automated installation failing at that stage would be an 'unclean' EFI partition due to Fast Startup in Windows (very rare but happens) or not enough space (very unlikely because any preinstalled Windows makes a ~100MB EFI which is more than enough for a second set of bootloaders). Now, if using the "something else" option (manual partitioning) users must select the existent EFI partition (as such) and at least the root partition (it used to be that and a swap partition but not currently needed since Ubuntu now uses a swapfile by default).

Beans

Okay, so do I only need to make a ~30GB ext4 partition to mount at / ,and no swap partition? And Should I guide the installer to the EFI partition Windows made? It is at /dev/sda3. Do I let the installer install bootloader at /dev/sda (which is default) or point it towards /dev/sda3 ?

Beans

30GB should be enough for the filesystem partition and Ubuntu will create a swap file during the installation so no need to create a swap partition. The installer will also use the EFI partition currently being used by windows. It will create a separate directory there named ubuntu so it will not affect windows. And yes, /dev/sda is what you select and it should install to the EFI partition.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

But, again, if using "something else" you need to explicitly select the existing EFI partition as such.

Beans

Okay, Here goes try number 18 (I think).

Beans

You should have tried grub-install from the live media, not update-grub -- all that (tries) does is rewrite the grub.cfg file on the live media, fails every time of course.

Beans

Question Re: [KUBUNTU 20.04 LTS] Stuck in dual-boot installation hell on my Dell Vostro 14 346

okay.
    Last edited by atta-asmi-01; May 14th, 2020 at 01:24 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast