Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [KUBUNTU 20.04 LTS] Stuck in dual-boot installation hell on my Dell Vostro 14 3468.

Beans

Re: [KUBUNTU 20.04 LTS] Stuck in dual-boot installation hell on my Dell Vostro 14 346

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    As long as USB drive is still seen as sda.
    My USB flash drives as sdb, sdc or whatever often become sda on reboot or if directly booted. Sometimes I have to change depending on whether I have directly booted or rebooted flash drive.
    I'm sorry, but this reply makes no sense to me.

/dev/sda is my HDD. USB is at /dev/sdb.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I plugged in my USB and started a LIVE instance. On All my previous instances, I had been unable to get Boot Repair to run. On this try however, it installed and ran. In the end it gave me the error.
    Locked-ESP detected. You may want to retry after creating a /boot/efi partition (FAT32, 100MB~250MB, start of the disk, boot flag). This can be performed via tools such as gParted. Then select this partition via the [Separate /boot/efi partition:] option of [Boot Repair].
    So, I guess /dev/sda3 is locked. But I couldn't find any setting regarding to it in UEFI. Cannot create a /boot/efi partition from the KDE Partition Editor (built in) as it doesn't allow mount points. What to do next? Can't I just create another partition in the start of the HDD (I do have ~522MB unallocated space there) and let Ubuntu boot from there?
    Last edited by atta-asmi-01; May 14th, 2020 at 08:48 PM.

Beans

Re: [KUBUNTU 20.04 LTS] Stuck in dual-boot installation hell on my Dell Vostro 14 346

You can create a mount point at /tmp/efi to mount sda3, and then run the file system checks on it. sda3 is just a FAT filesystem, so it should be visible and fixable from Windows too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Either UEFI or Windows is locking it.
    It may not mention ESP, but just security on boot or something similar. Or Windows turned fast startup/hibernation back on.

Really old bug, with some possible work arounds.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...2/+bug/1090829

Are you able to mount the ESP yourself?
    Or mount read only?
    Last edited by oldfred; May 14th, 2020 at 11:12 PM.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Oh Lord! I just tried to boot to Kubuntu Live and it wouldn't identify the 30 GB partition. Now while running installer, it says that the /dev/sda is read only.

At this point, I' ve just given up. I think Windows/UEFI is doing something to my HDD that freaks out the installation. Anyways, I've asked my friend to lend me his external Hdd so that I can backup necessary files, delete all partitions, install Kubuntu first, and then install Windows. That'll take a week or so. I'll mark this thread as answered.

THANKS TO ALL TO CHIMED IN AND HELPED.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I still suggest to install Windows first. But I do not have Windows.
    But if not gaming, many here suggest installing Windows in a virtual install.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Acknowledged.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123