Thread: any way to fix freezing browser with online shard collaborative documents?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

any way to fix freezing browser with online shard collaborative documents?

My work started using Microsoft Office 365 to share and collaboratively modify documents (mostly Excel spreadsheets). I am using Lubuntu 20.04 and Firefox. Everything is completely updated. However, I can only make about 3 or 4 modifications in these documents before everything starts slowing down. After maybe 7-8 modifications, my computer (cursor, mouse, etc) freezes, and I have to hard re-start.

(This freezing problem only occurs for me in this Office 365 website and sometimes on YouTube if I have more than 2 browser tabs open of YouTube. Other websites not a problem. I am assuming that O365 has too many scripts running in the background, but since it starts off okay and gets progressively slower, I wonder if there is a way to improve things...)

Is there a way I can fix/improve performance with this MS Office website?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: any way to fix freezing browser with online shard collaborative documents?

Have you considered using Google Sheets instead?

Beans
    Distro

Re: any way to fix freezing browser with online shared collaborative documents?

Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    Have you considered using Google Sheets instead?
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!! When I said "My work", I meant the company I work for, not my company. It's a large corporation, and I have no say in what we use.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I can hear the MSFT web-app devs laughing about how only "Edge", or whatever the MSFT browser is, will work correctly with their Office web-apps.

Might try Chromium browser instead of firefox. You can run it inside a firejail sandbox to limit access to the local system.
    I have two firejail aliases:
    Code:
    alias firechrome='firejail chromium-browser --js-flags=--noexpose_wasm '
    alias firepchrome='firejail --private chromium-browser --js-flags=--noexpose_wasm '
    The "private" option doesn't allow anything to be saved on the local storage. A temporary file system overlay gets created before launching chromium. No settings or addons are retained between program runs.

The other alias allows access to selected parts of $HOME, so settings, addons, etc. are retained between each run, but it is still a constrained environment. No idea if chromium inside a snap will work inside a firejail. Sorry.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Beans
    Distro

Thanks for all the advices.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    I can hear the MSFT web-app devs laughing about how only "Edge", or whatever the MSFT browser is, will work correctly with their Office web-apps.
    I think you mean cackling, not laughing.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    Might try Chromium browser instead of firefox. You can run it inside a firejail sandbox to limit access to the local system.
    I have two firejail aliases:
    Code:
    alias firechrome='firejail chromium-browser --js-flags=--noexpose_wasm '
    alias firepchrome='firejail --private chromium-browser --js-flags=--noexpose_wasm '
    The "private" option doesn't allow anything to be saved on the local storage. A temporary file system overlay gets created before launching chromium. No settings or addons are retained between program runs.

The other alias allows access to selected parts of $HOME, so settings, addons, etc. are retained between each run, but it is still a constrained environment. No idea if chromium inside a snap will work inside a firejail. Sorry.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonfly41 View Post
    Thank you, TheFu and dragonfly41. You might be interested to continue following this topic in this other thread...
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread....1#post13958297