Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: What is your fav DE (desktop environment) or WM (window managers)

Beans

Re: What is your fav DE (desktop environment) or WM (window managers)

I like XFCE, great resource management. I also use Gnome a lot, I have used both it for as long as I can remember, based on the specs of the computer I have at the time.

Beans

Hello, This would seem to be the place to ask and if not please forgive....... Ok I need to move off of CentOS onto something which stays more up to date. Ubuntu seems to be a fan favorite and seems to have pretty good support so I've been giving it a try and all is well........... except I am not using a tablet. I use Linux for a desktop in my work so I really need a Desktop Environment and not a Tablet environment so Gnome 3 has to go. I know the whole Gnome 3 thing is a deal and I do not wish to take this to that spot (though I have to say it is a shame they don't support actual Desktops anymore)..................... Rather than kick some mud around about Gnome 3 I would like to inquire about Ubuntu's support for the other desktop environments. I see they support quite a few which is great............... but I really don't want to start using one whichis more suitable for a desktop user just to find I picked the one which they wound up dropping support for as soon as I get used to it.. or one which actually doesn't support libraries thatnewer application may require..........

So.... I thought I would ask here if anyone had insight into what Ubuntu's plan might be for supporting desktops going forward which might help me make a coice which can stand the test of some reasonable period of time. Any information will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I began using gnome2 on Ubuntu, then I used gnome3 since it released on Debian. When Ubuntu went from gnome2 to Unity, I would use variations of gnome until returning to gnome3 on all computers.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Artificial Intelligence View Post
    ... I do also like KDE for its configuration-ness.
    configuration-ness-to-the-max. I can hardly imagine a newcomer going to System Settings to change something and be exposed to the endless sea of configurations.
    Right now I'm using 'neon' again, and this time it works great. Got a desktop clock by just pulling a clock widget onto the desktop!

I also have Xubuntu as my main distro, with plank installed. But having a desktop clock on xfce involves clunkly-conky or the like.

Then again I like deepin, budgie, gnome...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Budgie most recently. I liked the Deepin DE prior version 20 and really need to give plasma try again after a very long time. I like certain aspects of many DE's.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Recently I switched to KDE and it has a reason that's rather long so I'll spare you the reading. KDE is user-friendlier than other versions and that compensates for me the fact that it uses more resources. But I know that users have different motivations so that's one of the advantages of the Ubuntu world: you choose what you want.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I guess I'm the oddball here. I really have no preference for the actual DE. I use LXDE/QT, XFCE, plain CLI on various machines depending on their HW and resource limitations. But my main box uses Gnome3 for the mundane reason that I want the longest support possible, and vanilla Ubuntu is the only flavour that comes with 5 years LTS and not just 3.

Boringly practical.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Enlightenment 24 from Git source code.
    Enlightenment desktop environment on Ubuntu: https://github.com/batden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by similar2 View Post
    Enlightenment 24 from Git source code.
    Nice. What's the status of it? It's been years since I tried it. I think it was with elive back then.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Enlightenment 0.24 release, due this weekend. With lots of fixes, improvements and new stuff (theme and recently added features)...
    Probably the best release since the E17 era.

Elive is using E16 as desktop now.
    Enlightenment desktop environment on Ubuntu: https://github.com/batden

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast