Thread: Cheese in VirtualBox guest can't find webcam

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Cheese in VirtualBox guest can't find webcam

VirtualBox 6.0.20, host is Xubuntu 18.04, guest is Xubuntu 20.04. Cheese in the guest doesn't recognise my webcam. It just says "No device found".

When running Cheese from Terminal, I get this -
    Code:
    $ cheese
    ** Message: xx:xx:xx.xxx: cheese-application.vala:214: Error during camera setup: No device found

(cheese:1445): cheese-CRITICAL **: xx:xx:xx.xxx: cheese_camera_device_get_name: assertion 'CHEESE_IS_CAMERA_DEVICE (device)' failed

(cheese:1445): GLib-CRITICAL **: xx:xx:xx.xxx: g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed

(cheese:1445): GLib-CRITICAL **: xx:xx:xx.xxx: g_variant_ref_sink: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

(cheese:1445): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: xx:xx:xx.xxx: g_settings_schema_key_type_check: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

(cheese:1445): GLib-CRITICAL **: xx:xx:xx.xxx: g_variant_get_type_string: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

(cheese:1445): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: xx:xx:xx.xxx: g_settings_set_value: key 'camera' in 'org.gnome.Cheese' expects type 's', but a GVariant of type '(null)' was given

(cheese:1445): GLib-CRITICAL **: xx:xx:xx.xxx: g_variant_unref: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

** (cheese:1445): CRITICAL **: xx:xx:xx.xxx: cheese_preferences_dialog_setup_resolutions_for_device: assertion 'device != NULL' failed
    guvcview in the same Xubuntu 20.04 guest does recognise the webcam and seems to work flawlessly.

Why doesn't it work in Cheese?
    Last edited by halogen2; 3 Weeks Ago at 06:05 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Cheese in VirtualBox guest can't find webcam

I just tested this method in virtualbox with ubuntu, you have to install the extension pack for your version of virtualbox then reboot the host and guest, then I went to the button and clicked usb devices it in the vm and it listed Genric HDTrue Vision and I clicked on it then cheese worked, the extension pack will also give you 2.0 and 3.0 usb support.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Extension Pack is already installed.

Quote Originally Posted by wildmanne39 View Post
    went to the button and clicked usb devices it in the vm and it listed Genric HDTrue Vision and I clicked on it then cheese worked,
    Thanks wildmanne39, this got it working for me too! I was attaching the webcam to the VM using Devices > Webcams menu. If I instead do it from Devices > USB as you suggested, everything works.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Glad it is sorted!