Thread: Steam unable to update. Posting paste link of log.

Beans

Steam unable to update. Posting paste link of log.

https://paste.ubuntu.com/p/tsvj4t7T8k/

Code:
    $ df -hFilesystem                          Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    udev                                3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /dev
    tmpfs                               795M  1.5M  793M   1% /run
    /dev/nbd0                           2.5G  2.5G     0 100% /run/initramfs/rofs
    tmpfs                               3.9G   44M  3.9G   2% /run/initramfs/cow
    overlay                             3.9G   44M  3.9G   2% /
    tmpfs                               3.9G   49M  3.9G   2% /dev/shm
    tmpfs                               5.0M  4.0K  5.0M   1% /run/lock
    tmpfs                               3.9G     0  3.9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    server:/home/jason                  229G   49G  169G  23% /home/jason
    tmpfs                               795M   16K  795M   1% /run/user/5000
    megalith.mylan.home:/snapraid/pool  2.7T  2.0T  659G  75% /snapraid/pool
    This is a network booted machine. I can get a good run with no trouble on a local install on ssd but this just doesn't work. It fails like this everytime. I'm not sure why it didn't append to the log but there were a ton of lines like this as well. The home directory is mounted via sshfs.

Code:
    tar: steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb-xvmc.so.0: Cannot utime: No such file or directorytar: steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxcb.so.1: Cannot utime: No such file or directory
    tar: steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libxml2.so.2: Cannot utime: No such file or directory
    tar: steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sasl2/libsasldb.so: Cannot utime: No such file or directory
    tar: steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/sasl2/libsasldb.so.2: Cannot utime: No such file or directory
    tar: steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vdpau/libvdpau_trace.so.1: Cannot utime: No such file or directory
    tar: steam-runtime/usr/share/man/man5/hosts.allow.5.gz: Cannot utime: No such file or directory
    tar: steam-runtime/usr/share/man/man5/hosts.deny.5.gz: Cannot utime: No such file or directory
    tar: steam-runtime/i386/selinux: Cannot utime: No such file or directory
    tar: steam-runtime/amd64/selinux: Cannot utime: No such file or directory
    tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
    Last edited by Tadaen_Sylvermane; 2 Weeks Ago at 02:48 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Steam unable to update. Posting paste link of log.

have you tried turning it off an on again? i mean uninstall and reinstall?

what do you mean "network booted"?

it's as if it was searchign for some libraries but could not find them. 20.04 LTS ?
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

18.04 LTSP based pxe booted machine. I've been using it for most everything around my home, but this and PlayonLinux have had me hit a wall, both with similar issues. I've posted about it over the last few years but never get anywhere. I've been tinkering with it off and on. I just can't figure it out. Everything seems to work just like a desktop installation. I can even run Virtualbox on it. But these 2 things just don't happen. Wine works by itself but installing additional versions of wine via playonlinux utime erros and says file doesn't exist. and the above is steam after installing package. first run trying to download and setup results in the above.

Not a necessity by any means. Just a problem I've been banging my head on for awhile. Kind of like police and cold cases? I assume some of them work them occasionally.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

well i don't know this type of setup. However, the way i would approach this is first check if libs are where the applications is calling them from. so just make sure they are at the place where steam is looking fo them.
    For example is libvdpau_trace.so.1 found in folder steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vdpau/?

steam-runtime/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/vdpau/libvdpau_trace.so.1: Cannot utime: No such file or directory

and then second - if it is there, does the application have at least read access?

and third you might need to do some symlinks. not sure. are the PoL files (
    prefixes) installed in home?

Last edited by mastablasta; 2 Weeks Ago at 07:37 AM.

Beans

Code:
    [2020-05-10 18:21:10] ShutdownRunning Steam on ubuntu 18.04 64-bit
    STEAM_RUNTIME is enabled automatically
    Unpack runtime failed, error code 3
    Error: Couldn't set up the Steam Runtime. Are you running low on disk space?
    Continuing...
    This is the part that is probably causing all of that utime business then. This is the problem I can't figure for Steam. Even though as posted above /home/"$USER" has tons of space.

I did attempt extracting and setting up steam on my desktop linux and rsync the proper steam folders into place on the pxe server /home/"$USER". It still tried to do an install and failed as above.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

if it doesn't have proper permissions in the folder it could appear to the app that there is 0 kb disk space in that folder. check the ownership and group of the folder.