Thread: New screen but which one?

Beans

New screen but which one?

Greetings,

I'm looking for a new screen for my computer, but I'm in doubt which one to buy. I see two terms when I search for it. It's LCD and LED. Which one should I choose? I'm a gamer and a writer so I need a screen that's good for gaming but at the same time is easy for the eyes when writing.

regards,
    | AMD Ryzen 1700x 3.4 GHz | ASUS PRIME X370-A | 32 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 |
    | ASUS Nvidia 1070 8 GB | SSD 250 GB | HDD 1 TB |

My favourite place of all, is the closet in the hall

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: New screen but which one?

The two use cases conflict, so you're going to have to compromise at least one.

A large screen with a high DPI will be most comfortable for writing on (low res fonts are horrible to look at and more effort to read), ideally IPS so the colours don't get messed up at the edges or when you move your head.

For gaming you'd ideally have a high refresh rate. But large screen, high dpi and fast refresh means that you need to push a lot of pixels, which means really beefy hardware unless you reduce the number of pixels. The screens with the lowest response time (fastest refresh) tend to have the worst colour reproduction and viewing angles. Variable refresh rate, which is the compromise between high refresh rate and the work the computer has to do, is apparently troublesome with the current state of X and Wayland.

Most cheap monitors are awful, but you can find reasonable monitors for an OK price. Very good monitors are very expensive. I personally lean towards looks good all the time rather than flashes really fast but other people make the other choice.

Beans

Thanks. Now I have an idea for my next monitor.
    | AMD Ryzen 1700x 3.4 GHz | ASUS PRIME X370-A | 32 GB 2400 Mhz DDR4 |
    | ASUS Nvidia 1070 8 GB | SSD 250 GB | HDD 1 TB |

My favourite place of all, is the closet in the hall

Beans

I swear by my Benq Zowies. They are technically designed for gaming, but the monitor itself has all sorts of adjustable options, it doesn't have to be a gaming monitor. If it's too much for you, you can choose one of the other options to tone it back.

I bought one originally and it didn't work with the KVM I had to use (it was VGA port only,) so left it on my wife's computer for a year. When the KVM was no longer needed, I set it up as the primary monitor next to a high end Dell. It made the dell look so weak I bought another Zowie, that day.

Yeah, they are spendy, but IMO well worth it. The brightness, contrast and sharpness is unlike anything I've seen, I love them.