Thread: Git Gud

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Git Gud

I'm a bit of a gamer. I'm not really into First Person Shooters, or many of the new "AAA" titles. I really have started to get into "Indie" games. I tend to glom on to a title or two, and play the heck out of it.

I enjoy Indie games for a couple of reasons. One: The tend to be more creative in style, graphics, atmosphere, story, and play-style than your standard FPS AAA titles. Secondly, they tend to support Linux, even if it's just an after thought.

Anyway, I have been recently playing a game called "Hollow Knight." This is one of the best "Metroid-vania" titles that I have ever played. But I have been seeking advice on how to beat a couple of the bosses.

The standard response I have found given is "Git Gud."

In my opinion, this is the most childish and rude response a person can give when giving out advice. To me, it would be no different than taking your driving test, and the instructor not telling you where you need improvement, instead just saying "Git gud," and expecting you to learn something from it.

It also comes across as something that is unnecessary to say. As if someone playing any type of video game is going to not try and get better at the game... It's paltry advice. Imagine you asking a question like "Can you give me some strategies for defeating the level 5 boss?" and they say "Wow, you just need to get better." Well, that's not really help, now is it?

To me, tt's nothing but a cop-out form of help, juiced up with rudeness, wrapped in apathy, truncated to two words, and delivered as a practical joke. Yet, moderators tend to tolerate it, as a legitimate response.

What is your take on the phrase "Git Gud?"
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: Git Gud

I'm not familiar with that phrase. Is it slang? Though English is not my main language.

I got Hollow Knight, though I never completed it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

It's the thing that gamers use to show contempt for anyone without their mad skillz when they ask a simple question as you did.

Here, and in just about every other distro's forums, we treat beginner questions with the respect we enjoyed when we were beginners.

The Arch derivatives, Manjaro, ArcoLinux, EndeavourOS and others all have very friendly forums.

Re Shovel Knight: YouTube is bound to have information on every boss.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; May 8th, 2020 at 06:10 AM. Reason: Removed inappropriate comment and language

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Ah okay.

A game I can recommend is Torchlight 2, it's actual quite good. If you like action RPGs.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I actually used this phrase in a git tutorial at college.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    It's the thing that gamers use to show contempt for anyone without their mad skillz when they ask a simple question as you did.
    It does sound like a form of contempt.

Here, and in just about every other distro's forums, we treat beginner questions with the respect we enjoyed when we were beginners.
    Agreed. One of the best forums on the internet.

The Arch derivatives, Manjaro, ArcoLinux, EndeavourOS and others all have very friendly forums.
    I've only dabbled in the Kubuntu Forums. They are similarly friendly.

Re Shovel Knight: YouTube is bound to have information on every boss.
    Not to be confused with Hollow Knight, which is the game I am playing.

And yeah, I know there are YouTube videos that show me "how" to beat the bosses, find the hidden items, secret areas, etc. But I think this ruins a "sense of community."

Bear with me on this description. I remember when I was younger. You know the days before the internet. And me and all of my friends were playing old Nintendo titles like Metroid, or Zelda, or whatever... Anyway... I remember the first time a friend told me about the "warp zone" at the end of level 1-2 in Super Mario Brothers. And I couldn't wait to get home and look for it! I know it's a well known secret at this point, but in 1986, you couldn't log on-line and just download all the secrets. You couldn't just watch a video of someone else doing it, and then know how to do it yourself.

So, when I get stuck at a certain point in a game, I personally don't want to see spoilers, or videos, or complete walkthroughs... I just want to figure out that one part and move on.

For example: I couldn't figure out how to beat the "Brooding Malewok," because he does this complete area coverage attack, and it's way to difficult to dodge. So I asked for any "pointers" on the previous mentioned forum, and aside from the 26.7 billion (probably exaggerated) responses of "Git Gud," one person said "Do a dash over top of him right after he shoots off that attack." And that's all I needed to beat this guy and continue through the game.

And I guess that thinking that certain forums were going to bring back that sense of community, may have been incredibly naive.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Oh, certain games still have that kind of community. On the Steam Dominions 5 forums, people will propose a strategy and attract a number of comments about its efficacy, something which might work better, or why it's a bad idea.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819