Thread: oled brightness issue on dell xps 15 7590

Beans

oled brightness issue on dell xps 15 7590

Hi all, I have a Dell Xps 15 7590 with a 4k Oled screen, Ubuntu 20.04 and kernel 5.4.
    The brightness control doesn't work, I'm not able to manage the brightness level using the keyboard buttons.
    I know there is a script to insert to the terminal but it's not practical, not the solution because i have to insert it at every system boot and everytime i wanna change the intensity, not easy.

My question is: is there a kernel that will fix this issue? A serious solution to this problem? I'm not talking about scripts but to a definitive solution to let people control the brightness using the keyboard like on windows... it's almost 1 year that this laptop model is available on the market and the issue is still on...
    Thanks, can someone help me?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: oled brightness issue on dell xps 15 7590

Welcome.

Please post the information regarding the script you found useful. Perhaps there's a way to make it permanent.

Beans

xrandr --output eDP-1 --brightness 0.6

I just insert this everytime i have to change the brightness, but it's not the solution, you waste a lot of time doing it in this way...
    any real solution please?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Indeed.

A similar problem was already detected in Windows and apparently "fixed" with the latest Windows 10 build: https://www.dell.com/community/XPS/X...k/td-p/7347429

It may work as well in Ubuntu in some upcoming kernel upgrade. Meanwhile you should try this: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1192...h-ubuntu-19-10

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I have a similar issue on a desktop monitor. I originally did the same as in Post #3 except from terminal I used, xgamma -gamma 0.6, tried adding to (Xubuntu) Settings>Session & Startup; however, it didn't always take.
    While trying to figure something out I discovered the brightness can be set (if you have Nvidia GFX) in Nvidia X Server Settings. To do so, find/locate Color Correction option where the controls for Brightness, Contrast, and Gamma may be adjusted. Adjust as necessary.
    If you don't have Nvidia X Server Settings, this may not help.

Update: This method does not seem to persist between next day boots.
    Last edited by him610; May 9th, 2020 at 06:20 PM. Reason: more info
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Yes but I'd like to know if this issue is going to be fixed soon or not... its almost 1 year and is not acceptable that a person with an oled screen can't easily manage the brightness... I mean, is there a future kernel release note where it tells about this issue and its solution?
    Somewhere official to ask about it I mean.
    Thanks again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

We have no way of knowing when an issue will be fixed, I have seen bugs in some wifi drivers that have been round for more then ten years, you can contact the developers here possibly:

https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-devel