Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wine Association with .exe files with 20.04

Beans

Wine Association with .exe files with 20.04

Hi:

I'm running Lubuntu 20.04 and Wine 5.5 (development). Everything seems to be working fine; I can get any .exe to run by opening a terminal, navigating to the .exe's folder, and enter "wine XXXXX.exe."

So far, so good.

What I'd really like to be able to do is associate any .exe with, I'm guessing, wine.desktop. When I right click on an .exe file, and navigate to open with/customize, it wants a precise location/command. With 18.04 and earlier, there was a navigation option that allowed me to navigate to wine.desktop.

With 20.04, here is no navigation link, I have to enter a formal pathway. When I look for wine.desktop, I can find it at usr/share/galternatives/descriptions, but when I enter /usr/share/galternatives/descriptions/wine.desktop as the path, it doesn't want to accept it.

What am I missing?

Thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by wjbmd48; May 6th, 2020 at 07:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Wine Association with .exe files with 20.04

Quote Originally Posted by wjbmd48 View Post
    What am I missing?
    It's not the .desktop file that you're after, it's the program itself. which wine will tell you for sure, but it's likely /usr/bin/wine.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

OK, so it is /usr/bin/wine but when i put that into command line to execute, below, i'm allowed to hit "OK" but it doesn't remember it, and when i do that simply to open it, nothing happens either.

maybe i should be using one of the "%" commands listed?

Beans
    Distro

I haven't used Lubuntu, but back when I was using Gnome there was an "Open With..." menu entry, and a second "Open With" section in the file's Properties window. The former would just open that file with the application you picked, that one time, but the latter would associate all files of that type with that application. Perhaps Lubuntu works the same way?

Also, all of that kind of integration stuff used to happen automatically when you installed Wine, but it got disabled by default for some reason that I never understood. The fix was to copy some example desktop files from some place to another place - perhaps that approach would work for you? I'm afraid I don't recall the details since I only use Wine as part of Proton these days.

Beans

Yep, that's right, you can get to the "open with" both ways, and with 18.04 and before, there was a menu icon that actually let you navigate to the appropriate wine/wine.desktop file, and from then on every time you clicked on an .exe it remembered.

In 20.04, at least in Lubuntu, that navigation icon ain't there, and every path I enter manually in the window is wrong.

Oh well, first world problem. 20.04 is really a pretty good system.

Thanks for your help,

Bill

Beans
    Distro

The issue with Gnome was that they weren't the same, even though one might think they were because they were called the same thing.

I looked up the issue that existed with Wine before - only my laptop has 20.04 on so far, which doesn't have Wine on, and is in a different room - which may or may not still apply. The desktop files that already contain the configuration for opening Windows files with Wine were in /usr/share/doc/wine-stable/examples/. Copying (or linking) those files to /usr/share/applications/ recreated the prior behaviors - like having an "open with Wine" menu entry.
    Last edited by CatKiller; May 7th, 2020 at 03:53 AM.

Beans

No joy; copying the contents from 18.04, which is wine.desktop to /usr/share/applications didn't work.
    Thanks for trying to help!

Bill

Beans

Weird; .exe files now yield the wine windows program loader in the right click context menu as an open option, works well. This happened after some sort of gnome update this AM, but maybe a delayed effect from copying of wine.desktop from 18.04 to 20.04 as above???

Anyhoo, problem solves, will mark thread as such, and thanks for the help!!

Bill

Beans
    Distro

Likely to be a result of logging out and logging back in rather than the updates. Glad to hear it's working now though

Beans

Question Re: Wine Association with .exe files with 20.04

I'm having the same problem with a bit of a twist:

Everything is working perfectly on one PC with Ubuntu 20.04 (upgraded from earlier versions.) I can open .exe's using Wine simply by double-clicking them, but on a second PC with a newly installed copy of Ubuntu 20.04 (installed from scratch, not an update) and a new install of Wine, it's not even an option. I can run exe's just fine using "wine..." from the CLI and using Winetricks, but not directly from the desktop.

PC #1: ("Open with wine" is the default app for "exe's")

But on PC #2, "wine" isn't even an option from the "Open with other application" menu.

If PC#1 can do it, PC#2 should be able to do it too. What am I missing?

TIA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast