Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Cinnamon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu Cinnamon?

Does Ubuntu Cinnamon> https://ubuntucinnamon.org/ have 5 years and is it backed by canonical? Does it also have live patch and is it a Debian? How often does a new version of Ubuntu Cinnamon get released? Does it follow the same update & upgrade rules as the original Ubuntu does? Does it have AppArmor?
    Last edited by bionic3epl; May 6th, 2020 at 08:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu Cinnamon?

At this point in time Ubuntu Cinnamon is completely unaffiliated with Ubuntu.
    It's not an official flavor of Ubuntu like Kubuntu or Lubuntu are.
    It has no support from Canonical.

that said,
    Does it follow the same update & upgrade rules as the original Ubuntu does? Does it have AppArmor?
    if based on Ubuntu then is should adhere to Ubuntu update system and if using the Ubuntu base apparmor would be installed and in use.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I would like to add that Ubuntu is still based on Debian. So, any distribution that is based on Ubuntu is also related to Debian.

https://ubuntu.com/community/debian

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

An announcement regarding a 20.10 release indicates they follow the Ubuntu release cycle.
    https://ubuntucinnamon.org/ubuntu-ci...release-notes/
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by bionic3epl View Post
    Does Ubuntu Cinnamon> https://ubuntucinnamon.org/ have 5 years and is it backed by canonical? ..
    No flavor of Ubuntu has 5 years of supported life (with minor exceptions, Ubuntu Kylin in the 16.04 cycle was granted 5 years support by Canonical, that was a once-off exception though).

If you read the release notes of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS you'll find the following

Maintenance updates will be provided for 5 years until April 2025 for Ubuntu Desktop, Ubuntu Server, Ubuntu Cloud, and Ubuntu Core. All the remaining flavours will be supported for 3 years.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/FocalFossa/ReleaseNotes

That is standard, only Ubuntu itself was extended from 3 years to 5, flavors have always remained at 2 or 3 years (again with exceptions, eg. Ubuntu Studio 18.04 was not a LTS release thus only had 9 months supported-life which could be extended via use of PPA to 3 years, ie. it's always best to read the release notes and not make assumptions).

Beans

The Lubuntu 16.04 VM I have still has updates from Canonical. Since it's on the LTS base.

I understand the Lubuntu guys aren't maintaing lxde, but Canonical is providing updates for everything critical. You'd have to assume someone would write malicious code that is meant to interact with the lxde desktop. So unlikely to worry about those things. Most people wouldn't want to be five years OOD with packages anyway. It's perfectly safe to use it for five years. Ubuntu Cinnamon is literally just Ubuntu's base with the CInnamon Desktop and defaults.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

If you're on your installed system, you can use the `ubuntu-support-status` tool to view the actual package status for your installed system (ie. to explore gain information about your actual systems's support status).

(note: I just noticed my system (groovy) has removed that tool & it was replaced with `ubuntu-security-status` which provides less detail but is somewhat more streamlined)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Can we install snap apps on Ubuntu Cinnamon?

Main Desktop (Maintained by Linux Mint and Debian)
    The plot thickens!

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Why not just use Mint? You get the Ubuntu base with Cinnamon releases right from the developers. As I understand, there is a tutorial on using snaps in Mint if you really want to do that.

Beans

What is the difference between Ubuntu cinnamon and Linux Mint?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast