Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu Cinnamon?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Re: Ubuntu Cinnamon?

I think the differences are that snaps are disabled by default, theme and Mint tools. I have not looked at Ubuntu Cinnamon very closely though.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

But why call it "Ubuntu" cinnamon? Why use the name Ubuntu? Is this a "cunning plan" to fool users into thinking it is Ubuntu when it is Mint?

In researching this question I read a 2013 interview of Clement Lefebvre.

https://www.networkworld.com/article...inux-mint.html

He does not like Gnome. He says

Now, it is important to understand one thing: GNOME changes every six months and its components often break compatibility with previous versions of themselves. This means for instance that gnome-settings-daemon doesn't speak the same language or that gnome-bluetooth doesn't answer the same DBUS calls between versions 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, 3.8 of GNOME.
    And this regarding Cinnamon

It has become a complete desktop environment (mostly by necessity and for compatibility/portability reasons). I
    I am guessing that Clement Lefebvre is slowly working towards a complete fork of Gnome and a version of what he thinks Ubuntu should be without Gnome 3 and Gnome 3 shell.

Cinnamon won't be a frontend to GNOME anymore but a complete desktop environment with its own backend.
    Unity 7 was Ubuntu's frontend to Gnome 3 but Unity 7 is no more and Ubuntu is Gnome 3 and Gnome 3 shell with Cannonical branding. It suits me. I am not complaining.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

By the way, if you want to know if AppArmor is installed just run "apparmor_status" from the terminal. If you run it with elevated permission, you can see how it is configured.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post

Unity 7 was Ubuntu's frontend to Gnome 3 but Unity 7 is no more and Ubuntu is Gnome 3 and Gnome 3 shell with Cannonical branding. It suits me. I am not complaining.

Regards

unity7 is still maintained by the community and it is just one sudo apt install ubuntu-unity-desktop away and then logout and login (if use touchpad also install xserver-xorg-input-synaptics) I am happily using it right now on Ubuntu20.04 (and 18.04 before). Much smoother, faster and a lot more functional than gnome shell. Gnome shell is unusable for many users without tons of hacks in the form of poorly maintained addons (many of which will break when next gnome shell releases, the internet is littered with dead gs addons)

Ubuntu 20.04 has a long life ahead and by the time it reaches eol god knows what new alternatives will be available. Gnome shell is frustrating to use for me. In focal unity7 uses nemo to draw the desktop and it is extremely easy and smooth to go all the way to use it as the default file manager. This is exactly what I am doing right now (the new nautilus is pita for simple things like making a .desktop launcher in ~/.local/share/applications works) There have been talks to fork unity away from gnome which breaks everything everytime a new release comes out, if there are other shells available and more or less compatible with older gnome all the better.
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; July 6th, 2020 at 08:09 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12