Thread: Installing Ubuntu to Existing Acer XC-704 (Windows 10)

Beans

Installing Ubuntu to Existing Acer XC-704 (Windows 10)

I have installed Ubuntu to many laptops before, including dual boot options, but attempted the other day to install to a Windows 10 Acer XC-704, which is 2 years old, and has 1 3Tb drive currently.

I booted off a USB stick and was able to set up the install to use 200Gb of that drive.

After the install (no errors), everytime I reboot, it just goes into Windows, theres no GRUB with Ubuntu option.

Anyone else had similar issues?

D

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu to Existing Acer XC-704 (Windows 10)

You indicate you have windows 10 but do not say whether it is a pre-installed, default UEFI install? Is it? Ubuntu has had a site online at the link below for several years which specifically explains dual booting with windows 10 UEFI.

Most new Acer computers require that a user set a Supervisor password in the BIOS and then enable Trust before being able to boot/install another OS. Have you done that? I don't use Acer but you might do an online search for the manual for your specific Acer.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Beans

Yancek thanks for your response. I'll check out the documentation but looks like its UEFI, the original OS may have been Windows 8, I got the machine from a relative, and have upgraded to Windows 10 since.
    If I use Disk management tool on Win10, I can see the partition that was in the attempt. I guess I can delete that, and try and get this UEFI BIOS to allow another OS on it and reattempt?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Basically, how it boots is how it installs. So, you need to assure you're booting in UEFI mode. Then you can use Gparted in a live session to mange the partitions.

Important: Before any of that disable Fast Startup in Windows.

Beans

Hi got this working thanks all.
    in the end I had to open an elevated Cmd in windows and enter
    bcdedit /set {bootmgr} path \EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi

after that grub menu appears on reboot and I can choose Ubuntu or win10

i took backups beforehand