Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Digital Editions "already running" when try to open with Wine

Beans

Adobe Digital Editions "already running" when try to open with Wine

Hello,

I just downloaded Wine so I can read an ebook which requires Adobe Digitial Editions. But when I try to install Adobe Digital Editions from the .exe file with Wine, (right clicked and selected wine64 from the browse menu) it tells me it's "already running" and that I must close program and try again. I tried moving the .exe to trash, deleting, restarting computer and downloading again, but no luck. I tried the wine64 file as well as the wineconsole file, with the same result. Any tips?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Adobe Digital Editions "already running" when try to open with Wine

The support for Adobe Digital Editions under WINE is far from perfect but not bad at all considering the huge constrains: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManag...sion&iId=33276
    The above is for the latest version tested.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thread moved to Wine for a more appropriate fit.

Beans

Hmm that didn't have much... When I try through the terminal to run

wine PROGRAM [ADE_4.5_Installer.exe]

It tells me:

wine: cannot find L"C:\\windows\\system32\\PROGRAM.exe"

Is there something I can change in the configurations to make it find it?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Good morning. I have the same problem as sgroffman and have tried the latest version of ADE and several earlier ones that I managed to find online. I have Ubuntu 18.4 and lost ADE when I upgraded. It worked in Ubuntu 14.
    I have installed the stable version of wine for Ubuntu 18.4 as advised, wine tricks and play on wine, to no avail. Is this a problem with Ubuntu 18.4 as it is 64 bit and wine warns that some programs work best with 32 bit? I have seen the notes about different wine prefixes but started to get a bit lost. In any case I have tried both to the best of my ability. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by HC48; May 10th, 2020 at 10:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro

I just found a post in which someone got Adobe Digital Editions to work using virtualbox on the linuxmint forums but doesn't say how he did it. I don't know any thing about virtualbox and have started looking for information. Can anyone give me a step by step method (for dummies) as to how I could do this? I was wondering if I added my old Ubuntu 14.4 in virtualbox I could get ADE back as it was working on that system. Am I on the right track? Would this upset my present 18.4 system. I am using an old PC.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Virtualbox is virtualization software, it can be used to create and manage virtual machines. A virtual machine is a guest OS running "inside" the host OS.

So, yes, the software would be running natively in a Windows VM as mentioned in forum you've been reading. That said, please note that not all computers support virtualization or may not not have enough resources and for a Windows VM you also need a Windows license for a supported Windows version.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you for the reply Celtic Warrior. Yes, I realised it would be a problem to get a Windows VM as I only use Ubuntu OS so I was thinking of getting an older version of Ubuntu VM in which ADE actually worked. I wish someone would simply deal with the problem in a more simple way. Indeed I'm worried about using virtualbox on my old computer and I was hoping someone would get ADE to work again in Wine. I will wait and see I think. I researched the Calibre plug-in for my reader but it's a Pocket Book Touch and there is no configuration for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'm not sure you understand what a virtual machine is.

Beans
    Distro

Thank you Celtic Warrior. Ok, I will try to understand better if I decide it's worth the trouble, so never mind, and thanks again. Meanwhile if anyone can get ADE working in Wine with Ubuntu 18.04 i will be on the lookout!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast