Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adobe Digital Editions "already running" when try to open with Wine

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Adobe Digital Editions "already running" when try to open with Wine

I have just found the latest wine version 5.0 and have managed to install it and an old version of ADE (1.7). ADE 4.5 wouldn't install. When I tried to use playonlinux I got a message to say I needed a newer version. I tried winetricks but I got the hang up message 'until all Wine processes in prefix .wine terminate', which wouldn't close, but it went away when I got rid of winetricks and restarted my PC., after which I managed to install ADE 1.7 with a right click on the .exe file and 'install with wine'. Anyway, so now I just have to get an .acsm file to see if it works.
    This works, I was able to read my new book!
    Last edited by HC48; May 16th, 2020 at 03:28 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Perhaps I'm not catching on to something otherwise obvious, but why is ADE needed? Can Calibre do the job?

The problem with WINE is that continuing reliance on it will lead to an unending cycle of Windows app breakage. Every new app release risks breakage. Every new WINE release, likewise.

Such a state of affairs does not strike me as either productive or conducive to serenity in the long term.

I understand that some Linux apps cannot fully substitute for their Windows equivalents, but it may be worthwhile to try them out. I've often been surprised at how usable Linux apps are. There's always a learning curve, but it's usually a worthwhile investment.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I understand your point of view DuckHook, and I agree, but the reality of the situation is that some of us like to read epub books and Calibre doesn't do the job with the .acsm files. There is a plug in for the usual readers but I happen to have a reader which is not in the plug in. I have to manage with ADE. The reason why I buy epub is that it suits my reader and I like to be able to read every kind of book, not just the free ones. The latest book of a well-known author for example will be protected. I have found online book stores with very decent prices for epub books and they always need ADE unfortunately to be readable. I have tried many alternatives and wish that Calibre could replace ADE completely, but it doesn't. Maybe someone will come up with something as I have come across many people with the same problem in Ubuntu 18.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12