Thread: Thunar can browse smb share but all files are 0 byte and 'folder'

Beans

Thunar can browse smb share but all files are 0 byte and 'folder'

Hi,

I have a WD mybook NAS on my local network with some file shares on it. Can access it from a Windows machine no problem.
    I had problems accessing it from Thunar, first i had to set protocol to' client min protocol = NT1' to even be able to connect to it.
    Then i couldn't access the shares, so after installing gvfs-backends, finally i was able to browse the files on the shares.

Here comes the next problem: all files are shown as 0 byte, and 'folder'-s, and can't open anything.

I have Xubuntu 20.04, and it's beyond me why something that was just worked fine 5 years ago in an old distro doesn't work on the newest...

Any help appreciated,

Edo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Thunar can browse smb share but all files are 0 byte and 'folder'

To be clear: I have no solution for you at the moment. I'm only posting to explain why something that was just worked fine 5 years ago in an old distro doesn't work on the newest... The reason is exactly that, it's too old and uses deprecated protocols that due to security concerns are no longer supported in Ubuntu or Windows.

Beans

If your NAS is running only with SMB1 enabled it's a damn bug: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/1872476

You have a choice:

[1] You already did one part in setting client min to NT1 but you next need to add the PPA referenced in the bug report above.

[2] Remove yourself from depending on gvfs and start using CIFS which is based in the Linux kernel which has adult supervision over what goes into it.

A typical temporary cifs mount ( after installing cifs-utils ) would look something like this:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //server/share /some-mount-point -o guest,uid=1000,vers=1.0,sec=ntlm
    After verifying that it works you can set this up in fstab so it happens without you going to the terminal.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Thunar can browse smb share but all files are 0 byte and 'folder'

So it is a bug Damn

Tried quickly the PPA, but didn't work out...

Mounting it with cifs works like a charm, THANKS !!!!

Red it somewhere that cifs is the past and smb is the way to go, but screw that now...

Beans

Red it somewhere that cifs is the past and smb is the way to go, but screw that now...
    It's a discombobulation of terms.

CIFS was the name given to the original dialect of SMB. It was later updated then renamed to SMB1 but the kernel developers kept the name CIFS for their module. CIFS can access any system running with SMB1 all the way up to SMB3 which is what WIn10 and a Samba server uses.

Beans

Yes, i am aware of those facts, while searching for a solution i came upon an article that had the summary of that line...

Thank you again, now i can access my NAS!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Not trying to hijack thread, just adding comment.

I have a related issue, when I try, using Thunar, to open my fileserver, error message appears,
    Failed to open 'fileserver'. Failed to retrieve share list from server: Software caused connection abort.
    It is a legacy atom-powered server running freenas version 0.68 that I built about ten years ago.
    Maybe it is time to upgrade server hardware and software.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Be sure to mark the thread SOLVED! There will be others to follow, with the same issue.

Learning American Sign Language - just for fun.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Deleted by him610
    Last edited by him610; May 9th, 2020 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Did not work after all
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/