Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help going more in depth to SDDM theme : where to turn?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: help going more in depth to SDDM theme : where to turn?

Quote Originally Posted by anotherChris View Post
    That makes sense, but then why does the Muon Package Manager (which is how the Lubuntu manual recommends getting new themes) show only a handful of alternate themes? (I guess I should really ask that question at the Lubuntu.me forum!)
    With no disrespect intended towards the Lubuntu project, Kubuntu would likely have more pull for getting SDDM themes into the standard repositories than Lubuntu - since they're bigger and have been using SDDM for longer - and pulling new bling from the KDE store is built into KDE's standard settings so they have less incentive to bother than they would otherwise. Not having that infrastructure so that you have to fiddle with things by hand is the "bloat-avoidance" that people are choosing by going with something like Lubuntu.

I can't speak for ml9104, but some caution is warranted when fiddling with a display manager, since it's possible to render yourself unable to log in with careless fiddling. So things like working with a different theme rather than potentially breaking the only theme (and knowing how to change theme from the command line), trying to avoid breaking Qt, testing in a VM, making backups of files you change so you can easily restore them from the command line if your changes break things, and so on, are entirely sensible precautions. Where I might differ, though, is that it's your computer: should you break things beyond your ability to fix them, a reinstall takes about 20 minutes, and you'll have learned not to do whatever it was that you did. It's entirely possible that ml9104 learned a lesson about those files by exactly that method, hence their note of caution: there are definitely things I tried in the beginning (although I've never tried playing with SDDM themes) where the salient lesson was exactly "yeah, don't do that."

I would definitely start with examining how other themes work, though, so you can get a feel for the structure without having to give your own machine such a hard poke.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

GhX6GZMB is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

should you break things beyond your ability to fix them, a reinstall takes about 20 minutes, and you'll have learned not to do whatever it was that you did. It's entirely possible that ml9104 learned a lesson about those files by exactly that method, hence their note of caution: there are definitely things I tried in the beginning (although I've never tried playing with SDDM themes) where the salient lesson was exactly "yeah, don't do that."
    Spoken from my heart
    Yes, that's exactly where I was...

Nowadays I look for the configuration files (not an easy job) instead of fiddling with the .qmls
    To me, .qmls are program files just like binary executables. A wrong period or comma will get you back to the install DVD quickly.
    Last edited by GhX6GZMB; May 7th, 2020 at 04:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    some caution is warranted when fiddling with a display manager, since it's possible to render yourself unable to log in with careless fiddling. So things like working with a different theme rather than potentially breaking the only theme (and knowing how to change theme from the command line), trying to avoid breaking Qt, testing in a VM, making backups of files you change so you can easily restore them from the command line if your changes break things, and so on, are entirely sensible precautions.
    Yes, I understand what you're saying, and I have been doing that--looking at how other themes work, etc, and I'll try it in a VM machine first, although I'll have to "learn" VMs in order to that (never used one before). I'm trying to do something crazy like a theme with video or animations. Actually, what I am trying for is something even more pared down than the pre-installed Lubuntu theme. The only problem I'm having is that some visual elements in the Lubuntu theme QML objects seem not to be configurable except by modifying the QML objects imported from the .qml files.

Anyway, my original question was about where to go to get help with QML besides the Qt forums, but maybe there isn't a good place...

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by anotherChris View Post
    Anyway, my original question was about where to go to get help with QML besides the Qt forums, but maybe there isn't a good place...
    There may well not be. There's not just one place that you'd be able to teach yourself JavaScript or C++ on the fly, either. Qt has some reference material to get you started.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

This question was answered on the Lubuntu.me Discourse: there is an SDDM developer community centered around Github.
    https://discourse.lubuntu.me/t/creat...istance/1126/6

Marking as solved...

Beans
    Distro

Awesome! Glad to hear that you found some resources. Have fun!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12