Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do we know TOR is safe?

Beans

How do we know TOR is safe?

Hi,

I was lead to believe TOR was safe for doing anonymous web surfing, I went onto YouTube to see some videos (before you ask I did not sign in) and yet laughingly it produced like 5 or 6 items in a suggestions list that were topics and channels I had visited recently on my normal browser which were topics that had absolutely nothing to do with the targeted youtube content.

Of the thousands of topics and millions of recent videos publicised every week, how is this possible??????

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: How do we know TOR is safe?

Thread moved to The Cafe.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    Thread moved to The Cafe.

Well I am struggling to understand why this has been moved to the cafe, if the application is secure and assuming the recommended videos are not a coincidence, then it is a problem in the ubuntu installation...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheeggman2 View Post
    Well I am struggling to understand why this has been moved to the cafe, if the application is secure and assuming the recommended videos are not a coincidence, then it is a problem in the ubuntu installation...
    It's not a support request, hence it was moved.

From the Security forum label:
    Forum: Security
    Questions about security in Ubuntu and the official flavours.

Beans

Whilst I am not looking for an argument, I would disagree this is not a support request as I am concerned that TOR is possibly not working because it shows up results that are part of my normal usage of the browser in ubuntu. I was under the impression for using TOR previously it popped up a connection in other places of the world beyond your own and that you usually get greeted by YouTube in a foreign language yet i connected up in English.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

You didn't say what operating system you are on. 20.04 LTS has a newer version than 18.04 LTS.

The package doesn't appear to receive updates to 18.04 LTS. It's actually behind Debian in patches, going into the universe repository, which is typically where community supported packages end up.

http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changel...10-1/changelog

https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.o...10-1_changelog

You're probably better off asking for support from the project or general discussion from the cafe.

You can also offer to help by patching the fix in the bionic release yourself on Launchpad.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by iamtheeggman2 View Post
    Whilst I am not looking for an argument, I would disagree this is not a support request as I am concerned that TOR is possibly not working because it shows up results that are part of my normal usage of the browser in ubuntu. I was under the impression for using TOR previously it popped up a connection in other places of the world beyond your own and that you usually get greeted by YouTube in a foreign language yet i connected up in English.
    That's exactly the point. The thread is not about security issues related to an Ubuntu official flavour, but related to the TOR network.

In all cases you are welcome to start a thread in the Resolution Center sub-forum if you think this move should be reviewed by the other forum admins.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    That's exactly the point. The thread is not about security issues related to an Ubuntu official flavour, but related to the TOR network.

In all cases you are welcome to start a thread in the Resolution Center sub-forum if you think this move should be reviewed by the other forum admins.
    OK well I am not really interested in forum politics, I am more concerned about the fact TOR is not dong on ubuntu 20.04 like I observed in previous releases of ubuntu re going to another country. You shouldn't assume this is a TOR problem, if ubuntu is telling the browser what topics I've been viewing on YouTube lately then the whole point of TOR browser on ubuntu is a waste of time.

I don't care which subsection of the forum this is on, I just want to understand how its possible 5-6 videos of topics magically appeared in the recommends that I have watched in the last week that have little to do with the video I was looking for in TOR.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by EuclideanCoffee View Post
    You didn't say what operating system you are on. 20.04 LTS has a newer version than 18.04 LTS.

The package doesn't appear to receive updates to 18.04 LTS. It's actually behind Debian in patches, going into the universe repository, which is typically where community supported packages end up.

http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changel...10-1/changelog

https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.o...10-1_changelog

You're probably better off asking for support from the project or general discussion from the cafe.

You can also offer to help by patching the fix in the bionic release yourself on Launchpad.
    I'm on 20.04 with TOR installed from the software manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Right, so I recommend going upstream for some answers, as this is an application related issue at this point unless a user in cafe can answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast