Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on Ubuntu 20.04

Beans

Thoughts on Ubuntu 20.04

Hi folks

I left Ubuntu when Unity came in. Delighted to be back now Gnome is back.

First impressions: Great distro, superb. Love the dark theme. Feels like Ubuntu. Will be ages before I even think of changing the wallpaper or theme. So yes, I'm very happy to be back and will certainly be staying for the duration of this long term release

Criticism? Does anyone prefer Ubuntu dock over dash to dock? I doubt it. The default set up is not very good. Who would want the dock always showing? Who wouldn't want hot corners?

So for me, the devs should think about integrating this and other popular exensions and ensure they are supported. I don't know if this is possible

I spent a good half hour setting up Gnome just as I like it. It's so frustrating that everytime I install a system you have to remember your extensions and do it all again. The extensions site is poor. I realise none of this is any distros fault. Seems mad that you can make an account, sign in and it still doesn't know what extensions you have.

Overall, very impressed. Just wish Gnome (my DE of choice) wasn't such a faff to customise.

Beans

Re: Thoughts on Ubuntu 20.04

Quote Originally Posted by mrwaistcoat View Post
    Hi folks
    I spent a good half hour setting up Gnome just as I like it. It's so frustrating that everytime I install a system you have to remember your extensions and do it all again. The extensions site is poor. I realise none of this is any distros fault. Seems mad that you can make an account, sign in and it still doesn't know what extensions you have.

Overall, very impressed. Just wish Gnome (my DE of choice) wasn't such a faff to customise.
    I don't know about any of that however when I install a Linux distro I write down in a notebook exactly what software and extensions I install for every Linux distro I use takes but a few minutes and solves any memory problems from my old age.

I install and use Linux as it comes OOTB and install the needed software which isn't much and may do a few minor system tweaks.

I have zero complaints with Ubuntu 20.04 on my 2013 desktop.

Intel core 2 duo e7400 (2.8 GHz) / 8.0 GB DDR3 memory / Intel integrated graphics adapter / 160 GB mechanical HDD.
    Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.
    (Mark Twain)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Most of the extensions dealing with desktop appearance/configuration are in repository. Lot easier to deal with than the "software store".
    regards

Beans

I made a fresh install yesterday, so far have not experienced any problem, seems more ready than18.04 when it was released. I am pleased that it has fixed an annoying problem in 18.04 that thumbnails are not showing up.

After trying out gnome shell for a bit, unimpressed and I switched back to the unity desktop (install unity-desktop from repo choose lightdm, reboot) The unity desktop is fast and responsive, way better than genome shell which is clunky and awkward. I am thankful for the community for maintaining it.I would like to have been more involved with the testing but have been too busy working. Those who are interested can check out the threads here. A small issue is that firefox has lost its global menu since upstream has removed the patch, but I get it back by updating firefox with mc4man's ppa. (thanks!)

Thank you for the great work especially the unity maintainers, the DE really improves the user experience tremendously (I tried to get used to gnome shell, never could and each iteration seems to be more frustrating that the last, and extensions that work for one version is broken for the next. The internet is full of broken, unmaintained gnome extensions.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by monkeybrain20122; May 6th, 2020 at 04:00 AM.

Beans

I am mostly concerned about privacy in Ubuntu, it seems you are asked for more and more personal data every time, of course it is optional but it works better when you provide your real data.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by vicsar View Post
    I am mostly concerned about privacy in Ubuntu, it seems you are asked for more and more personal data every time, of course it is optional but it works better when you provide your real data.
    Works better in what way?

You can call yourself whatever you want, and I can see no way that this will affect your use of the OS itself.
    Unless, of course, you use a lot of external accounts (Google, Amazon, etc etc) which will need your correct information.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

The telemetry tool is open source, so you can see what it collects, and it's just a tick box if you don't want to send anything. The results of the data are shown here, for example. It just means that the Ubuntu devs know what sort of hardware people are using, and how well it works, so that they know where to focus their effort.

Beans

I've installed Ubuntu 20.04 on a number of PCs and laptops. Solid distro, feels fast and polished. Only small niggle I found was dash-to-dock and ubuntu dock somehow overlay after the monitors go into power save and require an ALT-F2-r to get the dash-to-dock working properly.

Otherwise, a very well done to the Ubuntu team.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Most people don't have concerns about apps that "ask" for personal data. They're more concerned with apps that have it turned "on" by default.

A lot of the telemetry in Windows 10 can be turned off. But you have to actually go in and do it yourself. And it doesn't ask if it can do it from the beginning, it assumes "yes," until you tell it "no."
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I installed Ub 20.04 as an aux o/s - my main remains 18.04.

I tried installing all the 20+ apps that I have been using in 18.04 to see if it would work for me as a main o/s - it didn't.

So far, I haven't been able to install either Easymp3gain or Alarm Clock 0.3.4, so my main o/s will remain 18.04, indefinitely.

Has anybody found any great advantages of 20.04 over 18.04? I'd be interested knowing about them.
    Last edited by ra7411; May 11th, 2020 at 08:34 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast