Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thoughts on Ubuntu 20.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Thoughts on Ubuntu 20.04

Even some info that is asked is problematic. For example, the online accounts options in settings. It's nice to have access to Google Calendar, tasks, e-mail notifications, Google Drive etc, right in Nautilus and on the system tray, but are we now opening up our Ubuntu instances to Google tracking as well? This would be the reverse concern to Ubuntu tracking, which is at least ironic to say nothing of alarming.

As always, I think the big issue is transparency: Ubuntu asks for info transparently. As both CatKiller and Shibblet show, we can see what info is being passed to Canonical and we are given the clear choice to opt in rather than having to dig through arcane layers of menus that are basically designed to discourage users from opting out. The big social media companies use this last ploy to very profitable (for them) effect. This is made far worse by how opaque they are about the way that such info is used. Cambridge Analytics comes to mind.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by ra7411 View Post
    …So far, I haven't been able to install either Easymp3gain or Alarm Clock 0.3.4, so my main o/s will remain 18.04, indefinitely.
    Nothing wrong with sticking with 18.04 for now, or even for another three years, but "indefinitely" is not advised.
    Has anybody found any great advantages of 20.04 over 18.04? I'd be interested knowing about them.
    I've found quite a few features that I like, though it's too early to say that they are deal-makers:
    • Native ZFS root installs which allow system snaphots/rollbacks (though this was already possible with LVM)
    • More current apps eg. the newer GIMP version is noticeably better than the old
    • Little things like being able to define ranges in the history -d bash command
    • Faster boot and login
    • The impression that it's snappier and more responsive (completely subjective)

In the interest of balance, there are also things I don't like:
    • No more drag-and-drop to the desktop
    • Everything being hived off to snaps—Chromium, for example
    • Nerfing fingerprint login
    • The inevitable early-release bugs and regressions

But it's early days yet. I'm still in test-drive mode.

Beans

zfs is nicely integrated, well done. One odd bit ... man filesystems still lists fossils like xiafs ... but neglects to mention zfs. Anyone know why? I suspect that it's just an upstream issue, and no one at canonical customizes such man pages ... other thoughts?

Beans

Yes... I sold my soul to Google long time ago.

Beans

Yes, I also see the value on that telemetry information, and I know it is open source but I do not have the patience to audit any of that... nor do I know that I would be able to. So the experience is not the best in that sense. I still don't feel confident, maybe I just love conspiracy theories.

Beans

Is there some way to add a comment to the automatic zfs snapshot triggered by apt?

Beans

It is faster and snappier than 18.04.

Working with the new Nautilus is frustrating, even a simple thing like making a .desktop file in ~/.local/share/applications and making it works is a pita.
    Fortunately I am using unity and it is already using nemo to run the desktop (so it allows things like drag and drop to desktop, making launcher icons on the desktop etc even though I don't use that feature since I hate littering the desktop with launchers) so it is easy to make nemo the default file browser, it feels a lot more functional than nautilus. Also unity is much faster and smoother than gs.

Beans

Dash to dock every time, but no menu I leave the show application button in its place, this just works for me and after trying multiple other distro's I just feel at home with this version of Ubuntu

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12