Thread: app armor logs with snap

Beans

app armor logs with snap

hi All
    I am getting inundated with the log messages. I don't know where the profile is and what to adjust. this happens as soon as i open the snap store.
    Can you please advise

Code:
    lsb_release -a
    No LSB modules are available.
    Distributor ID:	Ubuntu
    Description:	Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
    Release:	20.04
    Codename:	focal

Code:
    type=AVC msg=audit(1588524534.236:6171): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software" name="/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/stock/object/" pid=2270 comm="snap-store" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0
    type=AVC msg=audit(1588524534.236:6172): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software" name="/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache" pid=2270 comm="snap-store" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0
    type=AVC msg=audit(1588524534.236:6173): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software" name="/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/stock/table/" pid=2270 comm="snap-store" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0
    type=AVC msg=audit(1588524534.236:6174): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software" name="/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache" pid=2270 comm="snap-store" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0
    type=AVC msg=audit(1588524534.236:6175): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software" name="/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/stock/text/" pid=2270 comm="snap-store" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0
    type=AVC msg=audit(1588524534.236:6176): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software" name="/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache" pid=2270 comm="snap-store" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0
    type=AVC msg=audit(1588524534.236:6177): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software" name="/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/icons/hicolor/symbolic/apps/" pid=2270 comm="snap-store" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0
    type=AVC msg=audit(1588524534.240:6178): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software" name="/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/icons/gnome/index.theme" pid=2270 comm="snap-store" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0
    type=AVC msg=audit(1588524534.240:6179): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software" name="/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/icons/" pid=2270 comm="snap-store" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0
    type=AVC msg=audit(1588524534.240:6180): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software" name="/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/pixmaps/" pid=2270 comm="snap-store" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0
    Last edited by DuckHook; 4 Weeks Ago at 12:26 AM. Reason: Added [CODE] tags.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: app armor logs with snap

I found the profile here.

/var/lib/snapd/apparmor/profiles/snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software

https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/security-apparmor

Then add something like this:

Code:
    /var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/stock/object/ r,
    /var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache  r,
     /var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/stock/table/ r,
     /var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache r,
    You can also add * to folders with multiple objects, so like this.

Code:
    /var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/icons/hicolor/*
    Then run the latest update.

apparmor_parser -r /var/lib/snapd/apparmor/profiles/snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

No answer for the problem, but you can setup logrotate to rotate based on the size of a log file. Check out /etc/logrotate.d/ for a number of working, examples.

Beans
    Distro

I've submitted a bug request.

Please list anymore directories needed, and I'll add those to the request.

Edit: I made a mistake. This is a generated profile. So fixing it how I recommended is the wrong solution. I've filed a bug to the correct team and will be working on looking into the correct solution.
    Last edited by EuclideanCoffee; 4 Weeks Ago at 09:07 PM.

Beans

I'm having DENIED issues with the following directories:

/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/pixmaps
    /var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/icons
    /var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/fonts
    /var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/mime
    /var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/gdm

According to the documentation (https://ubuntu.com/server/docs/security-apparmor) adding new rules to "/etc/apparmor.d/local" should fix this.

I've tried but without success . The the rules are ignored.

Code:
    sudo touch /etc/apparmor.d/local/snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software
    sudo nano /etc/apparmor.d/local/snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software
    Add the following lines, save and restart apparmor
    Code:
    # fix the 'apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software"' issues...
    "/var/lib/snapd/hostfs/usr/share/{pixmaps,icons,fonts,mime,gdm}{,/,/**}" rk,
    Code:
    sudo systemctl restart apparmor.service
    Could you please share the link to the bug report you created? I'm also trying to have this resolved.
    Thanks!

Edit: ok, I found out why the rules were ignored.... there is an error while parsing the file.
    Also it seems the local folder can only be used by the profiles in the parent folder /etc/apparmor.d.
    Code:
    sudo apparmor_parser -r /etc/apparmor.d/local/snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software
    AppArmor parser error for /etc/apparmor.d/local/snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software in /etc/apparmor.d/local/snap.snap-store.ubuntu-software at line 10: syntax error, unexpected TOK_MODE, expecting TOK_OPEN
    Last edited by rlvargas; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:13 AM. Reason: new information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Specific rules are playing whack-a-mole. The solution needs to provide 100% local control over which directories **every** snap can be constrained inside.

Or have I completely missed the point and this is purely for 1 piece of software? That just means it is whack-a-mole times .... 50K.

Beans
    Distro

Edit: ok, I found out why the rules were ignored.... there is an error while parsing the file.
    Yup.

I've submitted a patch, but it's still being reviewed.
    Last edited by EuclideanCoffee; 4 Weeks Ago at 02:35 PM.