Thread: Ubuntu 20.04 Cant install nividia 7025 drivers

Beans

Ubuntu 20.04 Cant install nividia 7025 drivers

Hello! Im new to linux!
    I install ubuntu 20.04 but the screen is full with artifacts. Im trying to install these drivers https://www.geforce.com/drivers/results/114714 but i get the error
    Unable to find the system utility "ld" - please make sure you have the package binutils installed. If you do have binutils installed then check ld is in your PATH

I dont know what to do!

Thanks!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 20.04 Cant install nividia 7025 drivers

Welcome.

Unfortunately there are bad news. 304 driver is no longer supported. The last Ubuntu release where it was supported is 16.04 with the original kernel version, i.e., no higher than 16.04.1. The included kernel version is supported until the end of that release (April 2021). After that you need to find something else not in Ubuntu family (or use the default open-source nouveau drive that may or may not work properly).

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Also if you were using a card that was supported by current drivers you wouldn't install them by downloading and running some random file, you'd just use the package manager.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    Welcome.

Unfortunately there are bad news. 304 driver is no longer supported. The last Ubuntu release where it was supported is 16.04 with the original kernel version, i.e., no higher than 16.04.1. The included kernel version is supported until the end of that release (April 2021). After that you need to find something else not in Ubuntu family (or use the default open-source nouveau drive that may or may not work properly).
    Thanks for the reply!
    I have an hd 6450 radeon video card, that would work???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by eltiti View Post
    Thanks for the reply!
    I have an hd 6450 radeon video card, that would work???
    It's supported by the open-source driver 'radeon'. Already included, no installation required.
    The aforementioned driver was developed with AMD so it's a different situation than with 'nouveau' for Nvidia cards.

Whether or not it works satisfactory in this day and age with legacy hardware your experience will tell.

Beans

Of course! I live in argentina, and for the moment for my mother is more than enought for web browsing. Thanks for the reply!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you have an HD 6450 you are good to go for many years to come using the default radeon drivers. Just install something lighter than Ubuntu which is about as heavy as one can go within the Buntu world.

Don't try to add anything Nvidia related to the system.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.