Thread: Cant watch purchased content in HD

Beans

Angry Cant watch purchased content in HD

I have the weirdest problem. I love Linux and want to switch but i love watching purchased content weather it be youtube purchases, HBO, Showtime, etc. When it comes to free content, it plays in highest quality but if it requires purchase, at max I'm able to watch it is 480p. This goes for anything and everything. Have yet to find a proper fix. This happens with any and all flavors of Linux i tried. Very frustrating issue. FYI, the youtube html5 link doesnt work and switching to chrome doesn't work either
    Last edited by chaseyoboy; May 2nd, 2020 at 03:47 PM. Reason: add more details

Beans

Re: Cant watch purchased content in HD

Both HBO and Showtime work fine in Ubuntu Linux with Firefox. But you have to enable 'play DRM controlled content' in Firefox preferences.

Beans

You might also try installing the add-on User Agent Switcher, https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...on/uaswitcher/, and see if masquerading as a Windows machine helps.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Did that. Still stuck in 480p

Beans

the extension worked as intened but still stuck in 480p even if i tricked it into thinking im on a tablet

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

But you have to enable 'play DRM controlled content' in Firefox preferences.
    It's usually presented in a thin yellow banner the first time there's a request from any given website. It needs to be enabled only once. Many people I know dismissed it without reading the message thinking it was another one "blocked popup" message.

Additional info: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/enable-drm