Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to boot Ubuntu for the first time but I'm getting stuck at the loading screen

Beans

Question Trying to boot Ubuntu for the first time but I'm getting stuck at the loading screen

I am trying to boot Ubuntu (20.04 LTS) for the first time on a HP ENVY laptop to replace Windows 10. I followed Ubuntu’s instructions to create a bootable USB using Rufus and selecting the USB from the boot manager. However, whenever I do so, it scans the file system successfully and thereafter I get stuck on the Ubuntu loading screen (image atached) and nothing happens except the loading circle spins. I have tried it multiple times and even left it for over 12 hours, but to no avail.

Thank for any help in advance.

66E07D23-9D3B-40D2-B5D0-9FF495B7C875.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Trying to boot Ubuntu for the first time but I'm getting stuck at the loading scr

What option have you selected in Rufus?

Beans

Re: Trying to boot Ubuntu for the first time but I'm getting stuck at the loading scr

Boot selection: FreeDOS (then I select the .iso file and it changes to "ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso")

Partition scheme: MBR

Target system: BIOS (or UEFI-CSM)

File system: FAT32 (Default)

Cluster size: 16 kilobytes (Default)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by professor-butchwell; May 2nd, 2020 at 01:30 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Those options are likely the problem.
    FreeDOS isn't to be used and the rest makes it bootable only in BIOS/Legacy, exactly the option you don't want.
    You need UEFI/GPT or use the DD option -or- use something else altogether like Balena Etcher for Windows to avoid such problems.

Also of note that isn't a good idea to remove Windows but if you want to do that then first use it to update UEFI and SSD's firmware if applicable as they are usually provided as Windows executable files.

Beans

I tried both your suggestions, but unfortunately now the USB isn’t showing in the boot manager so the only option is to boot to Windows.

I also tried using Universal USB Installer which got me to the loading screen once again, but it’s stuck there again.
    Last edited by professor-butchwell; May 2nd, 2020 at 02:28 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You're doing something wrong then.
    You have Legacy/CSM enabled in UEFI ("BIOS"), the default even with Windows 10 installed in UEFI mode (and we know it is because you booted a "BIOS"/Legacy only USB, with a properly made USB media, you'd now see 2 entries to boot from, one with just the USB's name and other preceded by "UEFI:"

So, in summary, first of all try my suggestion about updating UEFI and SSD's firmware. Then there are other settings in UEFI that will probably need to be changed (Secure Boot OFF, Fast Boot OFF and SATA mode should be AHCI). Then the next step is assuring you have a properly made USB installation media. HP in general and the Envy line in particular do not need that many changes, ESC > F9 should show the one-time boot menu with all the correct options including external media.

Beans

Yes I have updated UEFI Firmware and created the USB boot media (this time using the DD option) which is showing up in the boot manager, but unfortunately it is getting stuck at the same screen again.

.04ABBC81-1A7C-4EB3-9675-CB1F61C4964D.jpg

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Then there are other settings in UEFI that will probably need to be changed (Secure Boot OFF, Fast Boot OFF and SATA mode should be AHCI)
    Also, in order to assure it's booting in UEFI mode (A bit-by-bit copy with DD boots in either mode), open UEFI settings and disable Legacy/CSM.

Beans

Yes Legacy/CSM is disabled. Secure boot is off, fast boot is off.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So next thing to try is the option to boot with safe graphics or use 'nomodeset'. Does it have a Nvidia Graphics?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast