Thread: Has Totem been nerfed?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Has Totem been nerfed?

The version of Totem in Focal has less than half the plugins of Bionic. Moreover, the totem-plugins-extra pkg is entirely missing. Does anyone know if the devs have decided to retire Totem? If not, why has it been nerfed?

Beans

Re: Has Totem been nerfed?

If you were to ck the installed list of plugins in totem-plugins the 20.04 package has considerably more than the 18.04 package.
    (- Totem has a history of ill functioning plugins so just because they're installed doesn't mean they actually work..
    A quick look here suggestts some work better now like mpris one.
    The -extra package only contained a single plugin, maybe dropped?

As far as configure plugins list probably some dropped like the vdr one, zeitgiest, a couple may be auto loaded like rotate, subtitle whatever, ..
    Last edited by mc4man; May 2nd, 2020 at 12:53 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    If you were to ck the installed list of plugins in totem-plugins the 20.04 package has considerably more than the 18.04 package.
    (- Totem has a history of ill functioning plugins so just because they're installed doesn't mean they actually work..
    A quick look here suggestts some work better now like mpris one.
    The -extra package only contained a single plugin, maybe dropped?

As far as configure plugins list probably some dropped like the vdr one, zeitgiest, a couple may be auto loaded like rotate, subtitle whatever, ..
    You are right! I should have explored more before posting.

I thought I was missing rotate and subtitles, but they are now simply app features. Thanks for pointing it out.

Beans

i am still using totem-mozilla on debian wheezy and it works a treat with viewtube!
    sadly afterwards it has been slowly deprecated and seems no longer included (quicktime plugin etc.)