Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ASUS F512DA Locks up, Ubuntu 18.04 & 20.04

Beans

ASUS F512DA Locks up, Ubuntu 18.04 & 20.04

I recently purchased a new ASUS F512DA, with 4G RAM (awaiting shipment of 8G more), SSD, AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx.

I originally installed 18.04 LTS. From the start, it locked up about 2-3 times per day. Just becoming unresponsive while doing basic web surfing using Firefox. I typically also have Thunderbird email loaded and maybe a Libreoffice document or evince PDF loaded.

The lockups would happen more frequently after closing the lid and suspending over night. But not always after initially opening, but generally within an hour of working after opening.

Since it's a new PC, I figured there was some hardware that was relatively new that had some bugs/issues (still could be the case), so I just lived with it and updated everything on a daily basis hoping it would resolve.

When 20.04 LTS was released, I did an upgrade to that, hoping that would fix it as well. However, it did not and the locked are persisting.

Scouring the logs, the only thing in syslog are lots of "tracker-extract" logs, nothing appears to be out of order (wish I knew how to reduce the tracker logging). There doesn't appear to be anything of note in kern.log or anywhere else I can find.

I'm a long time Linux user, various flavors, and I never thought I would come to a time where I was considering going to win 10. But this is ridiculous, especially in 2020. Lockups all day every day, I feel like I'm back to windows 386!

Any advice would be great.

Thanks, gabo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: ASUS F512DA Locks up, Ubuntu 18.04 & 20.04

To find warning/error, glance at 'journalctl -b' output into a terminal
    Locks are often related to the video driver: which one is installed/used, from which source ?
    Be sure first that each chipset/hardware is well identified.

Maybe try cleaning the system via bleachbit (as root, carefully select the features)
    With recent hardware, always install recent kernel to get full support and adapted driver.

Beans

Thanks dino, that command gives many pages of info, not sure what I'm looking for. However, I did take note of the errors, etc that I see in there and will try to sort through all of them to see if I can figure something out.

Regarding the video. I'm not real sure what driver "should" be loaded, but here is some info on the video.

lspci shows this for the video:
    02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Picasso (rev c4)

Here's everything from this command.

sudo journalctl -b | grep -i video
    kernel: ACPI: Added _OSI(Linux-Dell-Video)
    kernel: ACPI: Video Device [VGA1] (multi-head: yes rom: no post: no)
    kernel: input: Video Bus as /devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/device:13/LNXVIDEO:01/input/input5
    kernel: videodev: Linux video capture interface: v2.00
    kernel: uvcvideo: Found UVC 1.50 device USB2.0 HD UVC WebCam (13d3:56dc)
    kernel: uvcvideo: Failed to initialize entity for entity 6
    kernel: uvcvideo: Failed to register entities (-22).
    kernel: usbcore: registered new interface driver uvcvideo
    kernel: USB Video Class driver (1.1.1)
    systemd[1]: Starting Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_video0...
    systemd-backlight[775]: Failed to get backlight or LED device 'backlight:acpi_video0': No such device
    systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service: Main process exited, code=exited, status=1/FAILURE
    systemd[1]: systemd-backlight@backlight:acpi_video0.service: Failed with result 'exit-code'.
    systemd[1]: Failed to start Load/Save Screen Backlight Brightness of backlight:acpi_video0.
    tracker-miner-f[1070]: Unable to get XDG user directory path for special directory &VIDEOS. Ignoring this location.
    tracker-miner-f[1070]: Unable to get XDG user directory path for special directory &VIDEOS. Ignoring this location.
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: X.Org Video Driver: 24.1
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 24.0
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 24.1
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 24.1
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: (II) AMDGPU(0): Set up textured video (glamor)
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: (II) Initializing extension XVideo
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: (II) Initializing extension XVideo-MotionCompensation
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: (II) config/udev: Adding input device Video Bus (/dev/input/event5)
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: (**) Video Bus: Applying InputClass "libinput keyboard catchall"
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: (II) Using input driver 'libinput' for 'Video Bus'
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: (**) Video Bus: always reports core events
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: (II) event5 - Video Bus: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: (II) event5 - Video Bus: device is a keyboard
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: (II) event5 - Video Bus: device removed
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: (**) Option "config_info" "udev:/sys/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/LNXSYBUS:00/PNP0A08:00/device:13/LNXVIDEO:01/input/input5/event5"
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: (II) XINPUT: Adding extended input device "Video Bus" (type: KEYBOARD, id 7)
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: (II) event5 - Video Bus: is tagged by udev as: Keyboard
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: (II) event5 - Video Bus: device is a keyboard

--------------------

I also see some audio errors, not sure if these are of a concern.

sudo journalctl -b | grep -i pulseaudio
    dbus-daemon[816]: [system] Activating via systemd: service name='org.freedesktop.RealtimeKit1' unit='rtkit-daemon.service' requested by ':1.37' (uid=121 pid=1068 comm="/usr/bin/pulseaudio --daemonize=no --log-target=jo" label="unconfined")
    systemd[1056]: pulseaudio.service: Succeeded.
    systemd[1056]: pulseaudio.socket: Succeeded.
    pulseaudio[1881]: ALSA woke us up to write new data to the device, but there was actually nothing to write.
    pulseaudio[1881]: Most likely this is a bug in the ALSA driver 'snd_hda_intel'. Please report this issue to the ALSA developers.
    pulseaudio[1881]: We were woken up with POLLOUT set -- however a subsequent snd_pcm_avail() returned 0 or another value < min_avail.

------------------------------

As for kernel, everything is up to date and will continue to be.

sudo uname -a
    Linux gb-VivoBook-ASUSLaptop-X512DA-F512DA 5.4.0-28-generic #32-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 22 17:40:10 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

------------------------------

Here is everything in journalctl -b | grep -i error

kernel: tpm_crb: probe of MSFT0101:00 failed with error -16
    kernel: RAS: Correctable Errors collector initialized.
    kernel: EXT4-fs (sda5): re-mounted. Opts: errors=remount-ro
    systemd[1]: Condition check resulted in Process error reports when automatic reporting is enabled (file watch) being skipped.
    NetworkManager[817]: <warn> [1588249918.7885] Error: failed to open /run/network/ifstate
    gnome-session-c[1122]: Error creating FIFO: File exists
    gnome-shell[1164]: Error looking up permission: GDBus.Errorrg.freedesktop.portal.Error.NotFound: No entry for geolocation
    gnome-shell[1454]: Errors from xkbcomp are not fatal to the X server
    systemd-resolved[717]: Server returned error NXDOMAIN, mitigating potential DNS violation DVE-2018-0001, retrying transaction with reduced feature level UDP.
    systemd-resolved[717]: Server returned error NXDOMAIN, mitigating potential DNS violation DVE-2018-0001, retrying transaction with reduced feature level UDP.
    /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[1966]: (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
    gnome-session-c[2182]: Error creating FIFO: File exists
    gsd-sharing[2333]: Failed to StopUnit service: GDBus.Errorrg.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit gnome-user-share-webdav.service not loaded.
    gsd-sharing[2333]: Failed to StopUnit service: GDBus.Errorrg.freedesktop.systemd1.NoSuchUnit: Unit gnome-remote-desktop.service not loaded.
    gnome-shell[2224]: Error looking up permission: GDBus.Errorrg.freedesktop.portal.Error.NotFound: No entry for geolocation
    gsd-xsettings[1455]: gsd-xsettings: Fatal IO error 11 (Resource temporarily unavailable) on X server :1025.
    tracker-miner-f[1070]: Error while sending AddMatch() message: The connection is closed
    tracker-miner-f[1070]: Error while sending AddMatch() message: The connection is closed
    fwupd[2605]: ERROR:esys:src/tss2-esys/esys_context.c:69:Esys_Initialize() Initialize default tcti. ErrorCode (0x000a000a)
    thunderbird.desktop[3872]: Extension error: Error while loading 'jar:file:///usr/lib/thunderbird/extensions/messagingmenu@mozilla.com.xpi!/manifest.json' (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND) resource
    ://gre/modules/Extension.jsm:513 :: readJSON/</<@resource://gre/modules/Extension.jsm:513:20
    thunderbird.desktop[3872]: 1588252287846 addons.xpi WARN Exception running bootstrap method startup on messagingmenu@mozilla.com: Error: Error while loading 'jar:file:
    ///usr/lib/thunderbird/extensions/messagingmenu@mozilla.com.xpi!/manifest.json' (NS_ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND)(resource://gre/modules/Extension.jsm:513:20) JS Stack trace: readJSON/</<@Extension
    .jsm:513:20
    gnome-shell[2224]: Gio.DBusError: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.freedesktop.FileManager1: Process org.freedesktop.FileManager1 exited with status 1
    gnome-shell[2224]: Error connecting to Nautilus

thanks, gabo
    Last edited by gabo4au; April 30th, 2020 at 03:34 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Is the UEFI firmware updated?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    Is the UEFI firmware updated?

I don't know! I'll have to go figure out how to find out and check it.

gabo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Check the drivers/software page of the manufacturer for updates. It's likely you'll find the UEFI updates under what is now erroneously still called "BIOS".

Beans

Thanks mörgæs and CelticWarrior

That was a good call. I checked the UEFI on my machine, it was at version 306. Checked the ASUS support site and the latest version was 310. I downloaded and updated to that, fingers crossed that it helps!

Another point and question. I just upgraded the RAM, original was 4G on the MB and I installed an 8G chip. Now Ubuntu reports 9.9G? That's very odd to me, here's the line from top.

MiB Mem : 9976.4 total, 6476.9 free, 1748.4 used, 1751.0 buff/cache

That's really a minor issue at this point, 10G is probably ok, 4G wasn't

gabo
    Last edited by gabo4au; May 5th, 2020 at 02:45 PM.

Beans

Arrgh.. Just now the screen went blank and it won't come back. I'm not sure if it's locking up the same as before. Before it didn't blank, it just locked.

Now the screen is going blank and it's locked. I can't even log in via SSH or even get a reply to a ping.

gabo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The integrated GPU requires some amount of RAM from the main system to be reserved for video. It is often proportional to the total memory available and may or may not be user managed via UEFI settings.
    So, the more memory you add the more is reserved for video. Whether or not you can change that value depends on the specific options in UEFI.

Beans

Thanks. I'm now also seeing these in the kern.log.

[drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* ring gfx timeout, signaled seq=10580, emitted seq=10582
    kernel: [ 485.655256] [drm:amdgpu_job_timedout [amdgpu]] *ERROR* Process information: process gnome-shell pid 1865 thread gnome-shel:cs0 pid 1884
    kernel: [ 511.530740] [drmsp_hw_start.cold [amdgpu]] *ERROR* PSP load asd failed!
    kernel: [ 511.530805] [drmsp_resume [amdgpu]] *ERROR* PSP resume failed
    kernel: [ 511.530847] [drm:amdgpu_device_fw_loading [amdgpu]] *ERROR* resume of IP block <psp> failed -22

A quick search reveals that these have been associated with lockups from other people in the past. However, the notes I found were from back in 2018 and they were running kernal 4.17 or so. I'm running 5.4.0-29-generic.

But it looks like some sort of problem with the GPU drivers. Unfortunately I can't find any proprietary video drivers. The video is part of the Ryzen 3, here's what it reports in the cpuinfo.

AMD Ryzen 3 3200U with Radeon Vega Mobile Gfx

gabo

EDIT UPDATE: I checked the AMD site and there are ONLY drivers for win10 for the 3200U.

EDIT_2 Info: Another data point. I had updated to 5.4.0-29-generic last night as that was a new update and I've been updating every day in hopes of finding a solution. However, 5.4.0-29-generic is actually WORSE than 5.4.0.28-generic. With "29" every time the screen blanks, the machine is locked. With "28" at least it runs for a while before it locks. I guess the bright spot is that it seems someone is working on it!
    Last edited by gabo4au; May 5th, 2020 at 03:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast