Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice please. Best box for $1200

Beans

Re: Advice please. Best box for $1200

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Building you own desktop computer is not that difficult, that's why I ask if you are looking for a desktop or laptop. I was not offering to build one.
    It’s OK, I solved it by tricking their web page. It’s on its way.

Beans

You will love whatever System 76 you get, I have a personal Gazelle and one for work. They are the only Linux-out-of-the-box manufacturer that offers financing too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfer View Post
    You will love whatever System 76 you get, I have a personal Gazelle and one for work. They are the only Linux-out-of-the-box manufacturer that offers financing too.
    Financing not available for international (non-US) customers though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Do it yourself desktop and save 1/2 for a machine better, less prone to failures, and with more power than anything you can get from a store.

They all use the cheapest parts they can find to get stuff out the door at max profit. Then when something fails, you must have been using it wrong.

There are very able people in here who can give advice before, during and after the build. And, you'll know the machine you're depending on, and any problems that do occur will seem much less daunting.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

For $1200, you should be able to build your own amazing machine. Including a decent graphics card, ssd, and components. I'd go to Newegg or Amazon and look for parts.
    Holy Cripes on Toast!
    Attention is the currency of internet forums. - ticopelp

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by GreysonB View Post
    I just got my stimulus. I want to design apps. Times are tough and everything is not really open right now. But I need a machine and it would be helpful if it came with kubuntu.
    Thanks for reading.
    Appears I was too slow/late.

Nobody starts out designing. They begin coding. Usually spend 5-10 yrs coding before they are qualified to be an "architect" and get to design stuff.

I suppose game companies hirer non-programming designers to make the game play fun. I've never met anyone like that. Only know thousands and thousands of programmers, developers, and architects. I've never worked for any game company.

Spend that on going to college or a community college to get some classroom education. For a computer, I wouldn't spend over $500 total for program, unless I was forced to use Java. Then you'll need to spend $2500, since java is bloated. Same if you want to do Android development.

Community college classes are the best bargain for initially starting to learn programming and how computers work.

If you want to make Menu driven utilities, then there are many different languages. Python is very popular AND efficient for that purpose. It is a great language to learn and doesn't need any special computing. Heck, you can spend $55 and get a raspberry Pi v4 (all in) and learn the same stuff about python that you'd learn from a $500 desktop/laptop. Actually, it would teach you more, since using the rpi would have less CPU power so you would learn NOT to create highly inefficient code. If something takes over 1-2 seconds on a Pi, that would likely be a blink on any x86 computer. And nothing a beginner can do should take 1 second to happen unless it is I/O bound.

$1200 is a crazy amount to spend on a computer. Building a system is easier than putting together one of those $15 lego stocking stuffer kits on Xmas morning. Really, it is basically like legos these days. CPU into motherboard. Cooler onto CPU. RAM into motherboard, motherboard into case. Add a GPU, if you need one. Many computers have iGPUs (built into the CPU), which are about as powerful as a GPU from 2015 now. Connect some cables - power, storage, USB ports inside the case and close it. Then connect power, keyboard, mouse, ethernet, monitor cable to the back of the case, power it up and see the BIOS. 30-45 minutes if you are careful.

Legos.

For $500, you could have gotten a crazy powerful Ryzen, 32G of RAM, SSD, ok GPU - better than mine, certainly.

https://pcpartpicker.com/guide/ has a bunch of build guides - oddly, for just under $1200. Wonder how that may have happened?

Whenever comparing systems, always, always, check the passmark number for the CPU. That's really the only way to compare CPUs, as flawed as benchmarks are, it is still better than nothing.
    Last edited by TheFu; 4 Weeks Ago at 11:43 PM.

Beans

Thanks. I like my chances with machine language.
    i was asking about a box - I ordered the top laptop they got. Anything I should know?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by GreysonB View Post
    Thanks. I like my chances with machine language.
    i was asking about a box - I ordered the top laptop they got. Anything I should know?
    Almost nobody programs in machine language. We use C and only drop lower when optimizations require it. Most people would used some higher level programming language and drop to C for optimization. A friend’s ex-husband has a small game optimization company that helps the big gaming companies get their code fast.

Way back in the 1990s, we'd have to audit compiler and linker output where I worked. Had to read the machine code and do lots of hex arithmetic. That was the last time I used those skills. Just sayin' People coding applications seldom, if ever, need to know machine code.

BTW, my last laptop purchase was $305 from ebay. Asus X510UAR.303 w/ Core i5-8250U, 8GB RAM. 1080p screen. Before that I was using a $430 toshiba chromebook running ubuntu and a few VMs. I miss that toshiba, except the crappy keyboard and only 4G of RAM.
    Last edited by TheFu; 4 Weeks Ago at 01:02 PM.

Beans

I was taught in Canal Zone College that it’s called “programming.”
    But almost nobody uses a computer anymore so I thought if I’m gonna jump back into it I had better head towards cell phones.
    They call it designing apps.
    (On my first computer the only way to input or output anything was with paper tape. Of course, that was 1971)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sdsurfer View Post
    Thanks. I hope you’re right. I just gave them my whole $1200 stimulus pay.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast