Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Zoom?

Beans

Zoom?

Since I've been working form home using Ubuntu 18.04 I've had a number of video conferences using various services. I usually take them using a browser but an increasing number use soom. That service offers a Ubuntu desktop package but it only offers 2 Ubuntu versions once for 12.04 and one for 14.04 obviously both are pretty old. Has any one used those and do they work or am I missing something and are there newer debs out there somewhere?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Zoom?

The 14.04+ version should be also for any release newer than 14.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Been running the 14.04 version here on 3 different machines with no issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Autodave View Post
    Been running the 14.04 version here on 3 different machines with no issues.
    Same here, where I've been using it for meetings since Covid-19 appeared on the scene.

If you use xscreensaver watch out for zoom taking over the screensaver and autostarting whenever the screensaver should have done.
    There is a thread on the forum with a workaround for this problem here on the forum at https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2441407 by editing the configuration file for xscreensaver.

Beans

Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Many forum members know the irredeemably deplorable opinion I have of Zoom on both the security and the tracking front. That said, for some, it is simply unavoidable. If you must run it, then the latest version is your best choice because it has more of its myriad security holes filled. The latest Zoom client can be installed as a snap.
    Code:
    duckhook@Zeus:~$ snap info zoom-client
    name:      zoom-client
    summary:   ZOOM Cloud Meetings
    publisher: Oliver Grawert (ogra)
    store-url: https://snapcraft.io/zoom-client
    license:   Proprietary
    description: |
      Video conferencing with real-time messaging and content sharing

https://zoom.us provides simplified video conferencing, whiteboard sharing
      and messaging across any device. This is an unofficial re-pack of the debian
      package provided by zoom.us

The source code for the snap package can be found at https://github.com/ogra1/zoom-snap

Please file issues under https://github.com/ogra1/zoom-snap/issues
    snap-id: 76rrD7USwCJrZgepbRk7UdFEWON3tVKX
    channels:
      latest/stable:    5.0.398100.0427 2020-04-29 (74) 148MB -
      latest/candidate: 3.5.392530.0421 2020-04-29 (71) 185MB -
      latest/beta:      3.5.392530.0421 2020-04-29 (71) 185MB -
      latest/edge:      5.0.398100.0427 2020-04-29 (74) 148MB -
    You are far, far better off with this Snap than you are with the five-year-old version in the repos. That one is likely to have more security holes than Swiss cheese.
    Code:
    sudo snap install zoom-client
    Last edited by DuckHook; April 30th, 2020 at 03:34 AM. Reason: Added [CODE] tags.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Flatpak has the most recent version, Version 5, that was just released. It claims to have a lot of new security features. I'm not smart enough to know if that's accurate or not, but that's what they claim. The UI, at least, has readily identifiable changes you can make in that regard.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by iamjiwjr View Post
    Flatpak has the most recent version, Version 5, that was just released. It claims to have a lot of new security features. I'm not smart enough to know if that's accurate or not, but that's what they claim. The UI, at least, has readily identifiable changes you can make in that regard.
    As you can see from my post above, the Snap version is also version 5.0.
    Code:
    …
    channels:
      latest/stable:    5.0.398100.0427 2020-04-29 (74) 148MB -
    …
    Just make sure to install the stable channel.

Since snapd is installed by default in every current version of 'buntu, I don't see the advantage in installing yet another package system like flatpak to avail oneself of an already current and existent app. The less attack surface, the better, and flatpak increases attack surface by a lot.

Re Zoom: given how much flak they have taken over their security holes, I'm sure the more recent the package, the better. This is generally true of any app.

Beans

I must have missed Zoom version 4
    You think that's air you're breathing now?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

zoom-client is proprietary software so the snap developer cannot change any of the code but I think that he has made use of some possibilities of the snap format to give users some more control and may be a bit more security.

When the snap version is installed the snap store will provide a settings dialog giving greater control of the application.

P.S. it works but sometimes due to the amount of data coming down my non-fibre broadband line the app freezes leaving just the audio working. There have been times when a reboot and a rejoin was necessary to get into the meeting

Regards
    Last edited by grahammechanical; May 2nd, 2020 at 09:29 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast