Thread: Mythbuntu 18.04.4 to Xubuntu 20.04LTS possible without fresh install?

Beans

Mythbuntu 18.04.4 to Xubuntu 20.04LTS possible without fresh install?

Hi,

I've been running a mythbuntu machine for the best part of 10 years now. I don't use the MythTV stuff any more but it runs a bit of a quasi home server. Over the years I've set up and configured a LOT of stuff, a lot of it I probably don't even remember. I'd like to keep this machine reasonably up to date but really don't want to do a fresh install and reconfigure everything. Is there a way to migrate the system to something light like say xubuntu and upgrade it to 20.04 without a new install?

Thanks for your help.

Beans

Re: Mythbuntu 18.04.4 to Xubuntu 20.04LTS possible without fresh install?

Quote Originally Posted by pssturges View Post
    Hi,

I've been running a mythbuntu machine for the best part of 10 years now. I don't use the MythTV stuff any more but it runs a bit of a quasi home server. Over the years I've set up and configured a LOT of stuff, a lot of it I probably don't even remember. I'd like to keep this machine reasonably up to date but really don't want to do a fresh install and reconfigure everything. Is there a way to migrate the system to something light like say xubuntu and upgrade it to 20.04 without a new install?

Thanks for your help.
    I just tried the following on a Mythbuntu 18.04 frontend machine and it seems to have worked.

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-core
    sudo do-release-upgrade -d
    I chose xubuntu-core only because it seemed to need the least number of additional packages.