Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: PC boots straight into windows (dual install)

Beans

Re: PC boots straight into windows (dual install)

Hi again,

I think this has been my problem from the start, see image named "1" to see what the startup menu looks like for the pc (hp Pavilion dv7). Hitting F10 brings up image named "3", as you can see the only boot option under UEFI i get is "OS boot Manager", however if in the startup menú I hit F9 (image named "2") for the boot option menú I can select Ubuntu to launch and enter the Grub menu, but I can't set it as default so that the pc launches it every time on start up. At the momento I have to hit Esc on launch every time then hit F9 and select the desired boot manager manually.

All operating systems work fine, the only issue is getting the pc to start with the Ubuntu boot Manager (Grub)

Thanks again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 3.jpg (51.9 KB, 11 views)
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (52.6 KB, 7 views)
    • File Type: jpg 2.jpg (62.7 KB, 8 views)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

In image 1 go to OS Boot Manager and put ubuntu on top of the list and then press F10 twice, save settings, see if it boots to Grub

Beans

Hi again

That is the problem, the ONLY option under the uefi bios is "OS boot Manager" that's it, I can't get to a list of options in which to select windows or ubuntu boot manager and this always launches Win10.

However by manually selecting start up with F9 I do get to see a list of boot managers.

Beats me...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Some with HP have posted that an Update to UEFI then let them change boot order.
    Every other UEFI lets you use efibootmgr, but HP seems to reset (or is it Windows?) boot order to Windows first.
    So make sure you have latest UEFI from HP for your system.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi again,

Already did that, the computer is now 7 years old but I installed the latest bios (i supose UEFI is part of this?) from manufacturer which is dated 2016.

https://support.hp.com/es-es/drivers.../model/5259338

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

UEFI replaces BIOS, one isn't part of the other, one is there instead of the other.
    Unfortunately many vendor still use the now wrong acronym/terminology and it generates all sorts of confusions.
    So, when you see "BIOS updates" in the website that is what you're looking, regadless of it being an actual old BIOS or the new UEFI.

Beans

I see, thanks for the information.

Yes, I have the lastest UEFI from the manufacturer then. I supose my problem might be linked to restrictions of the manufacturers UEFI. I'm tempted to try the installation in legacy mode then, I think I was able to perform the instalation in that way in the past and get straight into the grub menu on startup.

I will wait a bit to see if anyone comes up with any ideas, otherwise will try reinstalling in legacy mode and will keep you informed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

When I go into BIOS on my HP and then to system configuration, Boot Options I can click on the OS Boot Menu and see a screen like the one below. When it was dual boot with Windows 10 it also had Windows Boot Loader as a choice
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

In the EFI partition (mounted at /boot/efi), check the size of /boot/efi/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi, if it is the same size as ...EFI/ubuntu/shimx64.efi, then copy ...EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi to ...EFI/Boot/grubx64.efi. I think shim still needs a local copy of the grubx file to successfully boot. That may be the issue which makes the device boot fail. If the size is the same as grubx64.efi, then it should be OK, just without secure boot.

Beans

On your HP, using the F9 key will make a one time change to the boot order so if you have windows and ubuntu installed, you can select either and on next boot it will boot whatever you have set as the default. To make a permanent change, you need to access the BIOS using the F10 key and go to System Configuration and Boot Order and highlight OS Boot Manager. If there is an arrow to the left of this entry, that means there are multiple entries. Arrow down to OS Boot Manager so it is highlighted and hit the Enter key and you should see the options in a small windows to the right. To make a permanent change, highlight an entry and hit F5 key to move an option down, F6 to move an option up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast