Thread: Bombono

Beans

Question Bombono

Hi

I have used bombono in Xubuntu 18.04 since its release.
    Has Bombono been removed from Xubuntu 20.04 repository.
    If it has been removed is there any easy way to install from elsewhere.

Help if possible please

john

Thanks for all your replies.

As not to have problems with my Xubuntu I downloaded Debian CD1.
    I installed it and added Christian Marrilat deb-multimedia repository then installed Bombono.
    I will try devede-NG as suggested.

Regards

John
    Last edited by johnjoe; 5 Days Ago at 05:59 PM. Reason: [SOLVED]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Bombono

Yes, it has been removed as it is "abandonware".
    There's likely no easy way to install it in current releases.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

I also was a Bonobo user and it left the Manjaro repositories as well.
    If it is available, I found the DevedeNG application is a great alternative.

https://www.rastersoft.com/programas/devede.html

Beans

Here's the deb. You can try to see if it will still install or not.

http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/poo...tu19_amd64.deb

Best of luck to you. It really sucks when old favs go to mothballs. I have mine too that I dream of someone picking back up and bringing current.

Beans

Hi
    Tried but it would not work. Will stick with 18.04 until it gives up.
    Christian Marillat still has it on deb-multimedia so may use a 20.04 installation and use his repository.

Thanks Regards john

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I just went from Bombono to Devede-ng and it's i big difference in speed. Go for Devede!
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

This isn't the first time that they broke Bombono. Somebody needs to compile it into an AppImage and be done with it. The reason it has been "abandoned" is that the developer, whose name is Ilya Muravj'ov, got sick of having to maintain it for every Linux release on the planet, and then to have it break with every new release. The package system seemed like a good idea, but it only works if they promise never to break anything. Having to rework and repackage every single program every 6 months is insane.

If that fails, I suggest that you use the Windows version. It was last updated in 2013, but I'll bet it still works. It's shareware. Be sure to pay the developer.

What is it going to take to get all programs working in the same release? I'm very tired of each release breaking stuff that I use. One essential reason for Linux domination is that Linus Torvalds promises not to break user space. He will even revert the kernel if it breaks something. It's about time the desktop developers got that message.

I also have other software that I'm dependent on to manage extensive media collections, and I'm going to be even madder if that ever disappears. I know we're supposed to be positive and all that, but it's a constant struggle to get and keep working software, and to get all my programs working in the same release.
    Last edited by VanillaMozilla; 2 Weeks Ago at 03:31 PM.