Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 20.04.... installer failed to create a partition table on ST9160310AS...?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: 20.04.... installer failed to create a partition table on ST9160310AS...?

The instructions are for you to open the Disks software/utility in order to test the HDD.
    Make sure it is selected in the list of drives in the left panel then click the 3 dots button in the top right corner and select "SMART data & Self-Test". Another Windows will open. Use the bottom left corner button to start tests, choose the shortest one, wait a few minutes. The utility will tell if there's something wrong with the HDD.
    Okay... Everything seems checked out as "OK" except for airflow temperature. I have no idea what this means, though. It means I have no problem with the hard drive and should be able to install? but if that's true, then why did installation fail?

Beans
    Distro

I also did the mid-length "Extended" self-assessment. It said that Overall Assessment was: FAILED. However, the only specific instance was, again, airflow temp...

Can I fix this by trying to install while blowing air-conditioned air over the computer while installing?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

That may mean you need a cleaning.
    I have found lots of dust and back with cat, cat hair.

Check all the filters on front of case, around drive & power supply.
    If it is running warm, it will not last as long.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

No, you can't. That drive, as expected, needs to be replaced.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Did you read the release notes?

https://lubuntu.me/focal-released/

If so you'll note there is a Known bugs section :

Replace Partition on Certain Partition Schemes With Calamares Fails

Installs replacing a partition may fail with this bug. As a workaround; reboot, use KDE Partition Manager to delete the ‘unknown’ partition that exists, create the partition using the format you want (ext4, btrfs were tested & worked), deactivate swap partitions & exit KDE Partition Manager. Calamares can then use the prepared partition.
    There a couple of bugs that exist with `calamares` (eg. if your box is old enough; boot with a floppy in the drive and you'll have problems, or closer to yours is likely https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1851188 which says fix released, alas it still occurs), but I'd always recommend reading releases note for any system. PS: If you don't want to use ext4, btrfs, it was also tested with reiserfs, xfs .. at different times in the release cycle; release notes were based on last day(s))

Note: this 'comment/reply' does not reflect the health of your [fan] drive, which others have addressed
    Last edited by guiverc; April 28th, 2020 at 12:01 AM. Reason: I missed the fan/drive detected issues in my quick scan.. sorry; add note to reflect my missed detail

Beans
    Distro

Good news. I got it to install properly.

I do notice that my fan runs pretty much all the time. Is there anything I can do to keep the temperature down?

Beans
    Distro

I was able to get it to install. I don't exactly remember what I did because it was so late, I was falling asleep as I was doing the installation. My recollection is that I did something multiple times, and it just eventually worked. Maybe I made a partition and then re-installed with disk erase? I don't remember, but it's working now!!

EDIT:

I'M SORRY TO EVERYONE WHO READS THIS THREAD THAT I CANNOT GIVE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT I DID. I HAVE REALLY BEEN TRYING TO REMEMBER, BUT I CAN'T. AS I SAID ABOVE, I BELIEVE INSTALLED 20.04 MULTIPLE TIMES THAT NIGHT BY BOOTING FROM THE USB AND INSTALLING OVER AND OVER AND EVENTUALLY IT JUST WORKED.

IN FACT, WHEN I HAD 17.10, I HAD STARTED GETTING MESSAGES I DON'T UNDERSTAND ON START-UP AND SHUT-DOWN ABOUT THE BOOT SYSTEM, AND AFTER MULTIPLE INSTALLATIONS OF 20.04, THESE HAVE STOPPED AS WELL. SO EVERYTHING SEEMS TO BE WORKING GREAT NOW...

SO I WILL MARK THIS THREAD AS SOLVED. TRY MULTIPLE INSTALLS, MAYBE A PARTITION AND THEN A COMPLETE ERASURE.
    Last edited by anotherChris; April 29th, 2020 at 06:15 AM. Reason: marking thread as solved

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Cool, thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12