View Poll Results: Share with us your Upgrade/Installation Experience

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - Worked Flawlessly.

8 20.00%
  • Upgrade - Worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though..

4 10.00%
  • Upgrade - Had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

0 0%
  • Install - Worked flawlessly.

18 45.00%
  • Install - Worked but had a few things to fix.

9 22.50%
  • Install - Had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

1 2.50%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Share with us your Focal installation/Upgrade Experience

Beans

Re: Share with us your Focal installation/Upgrade Experience

First I did an upgrade from Xubuntu 18.04 to 20.04, and sound disappeared. I solved it by googling and then typing "sudo alsa force-reload" every time I started up my computer!
    Then I did a clean installation with Xubuntu 20.04, and sound worked like normal.

The partitioning tool still needs some work. If you choose to let Ubuntu partition the drive, you can select LUKS encryption, but you can't choose the size of your swap partition. A tiny swap partition is created automatically (1 GB swap on my 8 GB RAM system). I had to google for some time before I realised I could create a swap file manually after installation.
    If, on the other hand, you do manual partitioning, the installer automatically creates an ext4 partition inside your LUKS partition. There's no way to create a swap partition inside the same LUKS partition.
    This is far too complicated for the casual user who just wants to encrypt their whole drive! For example, hibernation doesn't work if your swap isn't at least as big as your RAM.

Selecting proprietary drivers for my nVidia card during install, caused the installer to exit with an error message later on. Fortunately, I could easily switch to proprietary drivers after install.

Ubuntu is an incredibly powerful system, but there are still a lot of bugs and kinks to straighten out.
    Last edited by metacell; September 28th, 2020 at 01:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

This is far too complicated for the casual user who just wants to encrypt their whole drive! For example, hibernation doesn't work if your swap isn't at least as big as your RAM.
    The casual user neither creates anything outside the installer's workflow nor uses hibernation, a foreign concept in any modern OS, including Windows, since many years ago.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWarrior View Post
    The casual user neither creates anything outside the installer's workflow nor uses hibernation, a foreign concept in any modern OS, including Windows, since many years ago.
    Windows 10 still supports hibernation. It's very useful on laptops.

Beans

Newbie to Linux and converted from Windows Server 2019 using desktop installer on a server with 128Gb ram, 4 x 200Gb SAS SSDs and 8 x 4Tb SAS HDDs.
    Chose ZFS and installed on 1st SSD. Copied 1st SSD partition map to 2nd SSD. Attached matching partitions to give mirrored bpool and rpool.
    Created RAIDZ2 dpool on 8 x HDDs. Partitioned last2 SSDs identical small part1 and balance part2. Added mirror log to dpool using pair of part1 and striped cache on pair of part2.

Going well. No file errors. Have samba shares on dpool filesets mounted under /mnt. Dedicated separate fileset for media files with 1M recordsize. Plex Server installed and working. Great learning experience.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

I upgraded on KDE Neon from the Ubuntu 18.04 LTS base to the 20.04LTS base when it was offered during the summer. It went perfectly.
    check out KDE Neon
    Dell Inspiron 5625, AMD Ryzen 7 5825U

Beans

These upgrades were done 24 Apr 2021
    Now is the window when the 3-year full support period ends for some flavors, so time is of the essence.

Upgrade Ubuntu MATE 18.04 LTS to 20.04.2 LTS
    I used Software Updater, which has been offering this upgrade for some time. Full support will now be ending. This upgrade worked and required no post-upgrade adjustments at all. The requirements were to be fully upgraded before beginning, to disable PPAs, and stop xscreensaver daemon from running. The PPAs will be automatically disabled if you don't do it yourself, but failing to disable xscreensaver will stop the installation and required user action before it proceeds.
    Upgrade Ubuntu 18.04 LTS to 20.04.2 LTS
    This OS has 2 more years of support, but I decided to upgrade now while I was at it. Also 20.04 has some usability improvements over 18.04 I wanted. Again, I relied on Software Updater. The same requirements for upgrading as above were in effect. I also recommend to disable any gnome-shell extensions. I had one instance in the past where failing to do this resulted in failure to boot to the Desktop. Today's upgrade worked successfully, but after upgrading it was necessary to remove an extension no longer available and find a replacement, and to upgrade a few others. The gnome-shell theme I had in 18.04 did not theme the shell correctly and I had to find a new theme. The applications all upgraded nicely. Just minor issues.

In summary, these LTS upgrades were a success.
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 2nd, 2021 at 03:36 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234