Thread: Are linux GPU drivers any good

Beans

Post Are linux GPU drivers any good

Hi, there all (haven't posted here in a while or used linux for a long time)

So, I had a "discussion" on reddit and my opinion and this is what it was long time ago AMD open-gl drivers was a mess.
    Well i've stated that no metter how you put it every companies gpu driver was inferior to windows counterpart gust because of market share it is pretty much unheard-of to invest that much in linux drivers.

So the other people stated that linux is a flying carpet and in the nix amd drivers are actually better than windows drivers.
    Is this true are linux GPU drivers today so good that they are not only matching the windows but they are even outperforming it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Are linux GPU drivers any good

it depends on what you want to accomplish.
    intel drivers have been pretty great for years. No fuss. Just work.
    nvidia drivers have been hit or miss. Look at the release notes for 20.04 and all the caveats about using nvidia proprietary drivers. But if you go with the F/LOSS drivers, things (for certain values of "things") are better.
    i don't have any AMD GPUs.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Chelidze View Post
    Well i've stated that no metter how you put it every companies gpu driver was inferior to windows counterpart gust because of market share it is pretty much unheard-of to invest that much in linux drivers.
    You are incorrect.

Nvidia's Linux driver is essentially exactly the same as their Windows driver; they have a shim to account for the differences in architecture between the Linux graphics stack and the Windows graphics stack, and they don't include the game-specific fudges that form the "Game Ready" stuff, but the code that does the actual work is identical.

AMD's and Intel's drivers are both open source. Both companies regularly improve each other's drivers because they are part of the same ecosystem. Both sets of drivers are very good.

Software on Linux regularly outperforms the same software on Windows when it's been optimised for both, and often outperforms on Linux when the software's only been optimised for Windows.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TheFu View Post
    it depends on what you want to accomplish.
    intel drivers have been pretty great for years. No fuss. Just work.
    nvidia drivers have been hit or miss. Look at the release notes for 20.04 and all the caveats about using nvidia proprietary drivers. But if you go with the F/LOSS drivers, things (for certain values of "things") are better.
    i don't have any AMD GPUs.
    Yes, i heard about intel drivers they are fantastic they say and even when i was using ubuntu i would get really good performance out of intel integrated cards, but their hardware was a mess i remember i used to try games under wine and it would rarely work and when i would ask around what what was the problem they would be like. Hardware man hardware that thing doesn't supports this and that :/
    Don't know if the intel cards are any better now but they were quite crippled.

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    You are incorrect.

Nvidia's Linux driver is essentially exactly the same as their Windows driver; they have a shim to account for the differences in architecture between the Linux graphics stack and the Windows graphics stack, and they don't include the game-specific fudges that form the "Game Ready" stuff, but the code that does the actual work is identical.

AMD's and Intel's drivers are both open source. Both companies regularly improve each other's drivers because they are part of the same ecosystem. Both sets of drivers are very good.

Software on Linux regularly outperforms the same software on Windows when it's been optimised for both, and often outperforms on Linux when the software's only been optimised for Windows.
    I remember two years ago i toked with mozilla engineer and i asked him why was firefox worked so bad under linux compared to windows, remember had really tough time making hardware acceleration work on 1050ti.
    He was like resources we can't allocate enough men power in linux version because of market share, we try our best but the reality isn't sunshine and lollipops.

I remember there was only one guy full time working on amd graphic drivers and did everything changed so much when we see linux graphic drives being this good.

Is there any statistic to this/ benchmarks can't find any good sources or articles about this crazy improvement that i missed out on

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Is there any statistic to this/ benchmarks can't find any good sources or articles about this crazy improvement that i missed out on
    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=home

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post

Quote Originally Posted by P-I H View Post
    Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by Chelidze View Post
    I remember two years ago...
    two years ago is a "long" time in tech industry. i mean just look at the smart phones.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Disk backup (works on newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup Redobackup is now back as Rescuezilla

Beans

I'm using the Nvidia drivers for my GTX 660 and get the same FPS in minecraft as I do in windows 10. I know its not exactly a demanding game but it'll give an idea of performance compared to windows