Thread: different colours in scanned copy: scanner CanoScan N656U and Xsane in Lubuntu 18.04

Beans

different colours in scanned copy: scanner CanoScan N656U and Xsane in Lubuntu 18.04

Hello

I tried to make a Cannon scanner CanoScan N656U work under Lubuntu 18.04. It did work really well under the test version with water mark of a commercial driver I found online for this OS, therefore I know the scanner works alright.

Nonetheless when I try to scan a user manual with Xsane, the scanned output is blue text instead of the original black text as you can see in the attached out0030.jpg. Moreover, it seems the output is for some reason not good quality. I also took a picture of the same manual with a phone camera and as you can see the output of the phone camera displays the real content of the manual much better.

Could you please tell me any tip that would allow me to fix what Xsane outputs as scanned copy of this manual?

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: different colours in scanned copy: scanner CanoScan N656U and Xsane in Lubuntu 18

Don't use xsane, but Document Scanner (Simple Scan) has a setting to scan as an Image that normally is more clear than scanning a page of colored text as Text
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Re: different colours in scanned copy: scanner CanoScan N656U and Xsane in Lubuntu 18

Hello

Thanks for the idea. Please check the difference between Simplescan and Vuescan in attachment. The output of Simplescan is NOT good at all, it is washed out and it has a wrong colour. Both were taken with the same scanner and the same document. What can I do to fix Simplescan's output?

Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by thosecars822; May 2nd, 2020 at 11:00 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Not familiar with Canon scanners, but all scanners work pretty much the same. Here are the same scanned page - one as text, the other as image. You decide which is more readable.

scanned-75dpi-image.pdf scanned-75dpi-text.pdf
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/