Thread: (L)ubuntu Dist update failed - system unusable

Beans

(L)ubuntu Dist update failed - system unusable

In preparation for 20.04 I ran update manager today to update the system. I'm using Lubuntu

Right at the end of the process, I got a message to say the update had failed, that it would try to repair the update. Then a message saying the update had failed and the system may be unusable.

The system started, it looks updated and at first all appeared well, I opened a couple of programs.

When I tried to set my keyboard settings (Language support) I got a message to say the system was damaged and that nothing could be installed or uninstalled. There was a message to use sudo apt-get install -f (I think) but when I opened the terminal, I couldn't type correctly because my keyboard layout is wrong. Typing sudo gives me an S followed by a 4 and some other characters I can't remember.

Fortunately I had made a boot disk (18.04) in case of accidents and have also backed up all important files to an external disk, so one option of last resort would be a clean install if 18.04.
    However, when I tried to boot from the usb, it didn't recognise it and went straight into booting the system. I checked boot options (f7 from the splash screen) and the usb is there and selected, so I will keep trying, but at the moment having no luck.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: (L)ubuntu Dist update failed - system unusable

Quote Originally Posted by rachel-g41 View Post
    one option of last resort would be a clean install if 18.04.
    I would say that your first resort should be a clean install of 20.04, especially since you alredy have a back-up.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Many thanks - the laptop did eventually boot from usb and I've done a clean install. It was for 18.04 but will update to 20.04 asap, before adding anything and/or replacing personal files.

I've marked this as SOLVED even though I'm not sure what caused the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

A Buntu system should be updated every day but never upgraded. Better to install the release you want and do another clean install when you want another.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Since Lubuntu changed from lxde to lxqt after the 18.04 version, an update to 20.04 is generally not recommended. A clean install is your best bet (as recommended by mrgs.) You should not run into problems that way. Just back up your data.
    Rex
    Xubuntu 20.04

Ubuntu Arizona LoCo Team - The Hottest LoCo on Earth
    Arizona LoCo |Arizona Team Wiki|Arizona Launchpad