Thread: File Browser?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

File Browser?

What is a file browser?

Is it like Microsoft's notepad or is it like their Windows Explorer?

lol...I really need something like a Ubuntu thesaurus or a Windows-Ubuntu/Ubuntu-Windows dictionary...rofl

Heck, maybe even both

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: File Browser?

File Browser has many names, it was "File Manager" in early versions of windows, which became Windows Browser once the 'browser' became 'trendy' and Microsoft was accused of missing the boat (win95; where in 1994 the most popular software was Netscape Navigator or a Browser for the web, but windows 95 was released without an internet browser).

There are many File Browsers on Ubuntu, eg. `nautilus` (the default for GNOME & Unity desktops), `caja` (MATE), `thunar` (XFCE), `pcmanfm` (LXDE), `pcmanfm-qt` (LXQt), `dolphin` (KDE), etc.

Some documentation for Ubuntu does refer to it as file manager, eg. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DefaultFileManager

Maybe helpful, I'll provide https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubunt...browse.html.en

However I don't know how to usefully respond sorry. Maybe someone else can.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by guiverc View Post
    File Browser has many names, it was "File Manager" in early versions of windows, which became Windows Browser once the 'browser' became 'trendy' and Microsoft was accused of missing the boat (win95; where in 1994 the most popular software was Netscape Navigator or a Browser for the web, but windows 95 was released without an internet browser).

There are many File Browsers on Ubuntu, eg. `nautilus` (the default for GNOME & Unity desktops), `caja` (MATE), `thunar` (XFCE), `pcmanfm` (LXDE), `pcmanfm-qt` (LXQt), `dolphin` (KDE), etc.

Some documentation for Ubuntu does refer to it as file manager, eg. https://help.ubuntu.com/community/DefaultFileManager

Maybe helpful, I'll provide https://help.ubuntu.com/stable/ubunt...browse.html.en

However I don't know how to usefully respond sorry. Maybe someone else can.
    Thanks a bunch.

I was looking into coming up with a backup strategy that suits me, well I came across a post that included a link to the Ubuntu Recover Lost Disk Space...
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RecoverLostDiskSpace

Under "Tips Before You Start", It includes the following...

Code:
    2. Deletions. When deleting  folders/files from within a file browser such as nautilus remember that  the deleted folders/files are
    moved to the Trash bin. Until you empty  the trash, these files will continue to use disk space. Use one or more  of these methods to 
    permanently remove these files:

1. In a file browser, use SHIFT-DELETE to bypass the Trash bin.
    I checked Google, Alternatives, Ubuntu Software...I even checked Gnome Help.

File Manager came up in the results for everywhere I searched, but the terms "Manager" and "Browser" seems to mean 2 different things. At least in my thinking anyway...lol

Again...thank you
    Last edited by deadflowr; April 22nd, 2020 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Better Readability; replaced code tagged link to hyperlink

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

File Manager or File Browser is merely the list of every file and folder or directory on you computer. I has all the operating system files and all of your personal files. Your files are normally in the directory/home/username there you will find your pictures and all documents in subfolders like pictures, videos, etc. Some files are hidden and are usually system or user settings and can be displayed by finding the options list and saying show hidden files. Ubuntu user Nautilus file manager by default, xubuntu user thunar. other managers can be installed depending on your preference for the way the interface looks or operates.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

If you still want a thesaurus and/or dictionary have a look at artha; it's in the repos (for 18.04 at least) and is a super quick way to look for words etc etc.

If it's running you can highlight a word in any doc or web page etc etc, press Ctrl+Alt+W and the artha window will appear with info about that word and alternatives.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    If you still want a thesaurus and/or dictionary have a look at artha; it's in the repos (for 18.04 at least) and is a super quick way to look for words etc etc.

If it's running you can highlight a word in any doc or web page etc etc, press Ctrl+Alt+W and the artha window will appear with info about that word and alternatives.
    Watched a demo on youtube about Artha. Looks like something I should get. Thank you for sharing.

Beans
    Distro

Please correct me if I'm wrong, the correct order of doing things is...

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt full-upgrade
    sudo apt autoremove
    sudo apt autoclean

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Yes, that's about it!

You don't tell us the context of your query but if youre upgrading from 19.10 to 20.04 you must also disable, preferably remove, any PPA repos you were using in 19.10 or you will end up with problems.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by wyattwhiteeagle View Post
    Please correct me if I'm wrong, the correct order of doing things is...

Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt full-upgrade
    sudo apt autoremove
    sudo apt autoclean
    That is the correct order, but you don't generally need to do all of those.
    Code:
    sudo apt update
    sudo apt upgrade
    is generally sufficient.

Code:
    man apt
    will give you all the details of what the options do, but the short & sweet is that update refreshes the list of available packages/versions to see if there's anything that can be upgraded; upgrade upgrades any packages that can be upgraded without removing any; full-upgrade upgrades any packages that can be upgraded, including removing packages to satisfy dependencies; autoremove removes packages that the package manager thinks you don't need any more; autoclean removes the local cache of packages that are no longer available; clean clears the local cache.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    Yes, that's about it!

You don't tell us the context of your query but if youre upgrading from 19.10 to 20.04 you must also disable, preferably remove, any PPA repos you were using in 19.10 or you will end up with problems.
    I just want to get things right instead of what I've done in the past which caused me to start all over again