Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Intel Camera

Beans

Old Intel Camera

I found an old Intel Camera and wanted to see if I could use it as a web cam. It has a USB Port. I've connected it to a Ubuntu 18.04 desktop and lsusb sees the device, but I don't see it anywhere else.
    I also don't see software for it.
    How can I check it out?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Old Intel Camera

So what does lsusb say it is?

It's not much use just saying us that it sees it without telling us all the details.

For software to see if it produces anything try cheese or guvcview; I prefer the latter.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Install cheese and see if it works on there. It is in the repositories if not already installed on your system.

Beans

OK cheese was installed and it is the latest version. But I get this error:

Code:
    Message: 10:01:29.471: cheese-application.vala:211: Error during camera setup: No device found
    lsusb:

Code:
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 8086:0630 Intel Corp. Pocket PC Camera

I'm beginning to think the camera's broken. It has memory but I'm not seeing it anywhere.
    Maybe I'll try plugging it into a Windows machine and see what happens there.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Or try another USB port.

Beans

OK I tried another USB Port no difference.
    I plugged it into a Windows computer. It was immediately recognized and I was able to download some pictures.
    Apparently it's a driver issue.

Code:
    #dmessage |less
    [78498.337453] gspca_main: v2.14.0 registered
    [78498.563994] gspca_main: spca500-2.14.0 probing 8086:0630
    [78498.564319] usbcore: registered new interface driver spca500
    [78526.257284] usbcore: registered new interface driver sunplus
    looking at old archived messages it appears there was a driver as part of the spca5x project and it appears to be loaded.
    Now if it would only talk to something.

Sort of success. This command worked and loaded vlc with an image from the camera.
    Code:
    vlc v4l2:///dev/video0
    cheese is still showing no device I opene dconf-editor and fiddled with it but still no luck
    Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; April 20th, 2020 at 09:35 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by ajgreeny View Post
    For software to see if it produces anything try cheese or guvcview; I prefer the latter.
    As asked above, how does Guvcview work?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    As asked above, how does Guvcview work?
    guvcview wasn't installed. I installed it but it does work.

cheese still does not find the camera

When I try to open it in a terminal window this is what I get:
    Code:
    $ cheese

(cheese:31317): dbind-WARNING **: 17:36:22.542: Couldn't register with accessibility bus: Did not receive a reply. Possible causes include: the remote application did not send a reply, the message bus security policy blocked the reply, the reply timeout expired, or the network connection was broken.

(cheese:31317): Gtk-WARNING **: 17:36:23.702: Theme parsing error: cheese.css:7:35: The style property GtkScrollbar:min-slider-length is deprecated and shouldn't be used anymore. It will be removed in a future version
    ** Message: 17:36:23.900: cheese-application.vala:211: Error during camera setup: No device found

(cheese:31317): cheese-CRITICAL **: 17:36:23.925: cheese_camera_device_get_name: assertion 'CHEESE_IS_CAMERA_DEVICE (device)' failed

(cheese:31317): GLib-CRITICAL **: 17:36:23.926: g_variant_new_string: assertion 'string != NULL' failed

(cheese:31317): GLib-CRITICAL **: 17:36:23.926: g_variant_ref_sink: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

(cheese:31317): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 17:36:23.926: g_settings_schema_key_type_check: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

(cheese:31317): GLib-CRITICAL **: 17:36:23.926: g_variant_get_type_string: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

(cheese:31317): GLib-GIO-CRITICAL **: 17:36:23.926: g_settings_set_value: key 'camera' in 'org.gnome.Cheese' expects type 's', but a GVariant of type '(null)' was given

(cheese:31317): GLib-CRITICAL **: 17:36:23.926: g_variant_unref: assertion 'value != NULL' failed

** (cheese:31317): CRITICAL **: 17:36:23.926: cheese_preferences_dialog_setup_resolutions_for_device: assertion 'device != NULL' failed
    When I open it from the menu I just get a "No device found" error in the cheese window.
    Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; April 22nd, 2020 at 10:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

We see a number of similar threads where Guvcview works but not Cheese. I don't have other suggestions than to stay with the former.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mrgs View Post
    We see a number of similar threads where Guvcview works but not Cheese. I don't have other suggestions than to stay with the former.
    Precisely!
    If guvcview is working where is the problem?

I have never managed to get cheese to save a pic or video with my old logitech webcam but guvcview always works fine; I don't care as long as something works!
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 20.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast